"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Red face Imitation Crabmeat & White Rice?

I have some imitation crabmeat and wanted suggestions on how to saute in butter and serve with rice? Is there anything that I could add to this to make it better? Hubby and I go to a chinese resturant that has a buffet and they have the crabmeat in butter, but I didnt know if there is anything I should add to the butter and meat for more flavor. I have picky eaters in my house. Any suggestions????

Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Master Chef

You could add some broccoli florets, chopped garlic, & chopped onion & turn your crabmeat into a version of the popular Chinese stirfry "Coral & Jade".

(Picky eaters just have to go hungry in my house.)

Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

This isn't sauteed with butter like you mentioned, but I make sushi boats out of the crab - whip it up in the food processor with some mayo and then wrap that and the rice with nori.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknicnat View Post
I have some imitation crabmeat and wanted suggestions on how to saute in butter and serve with rice? Is there anything that I could add to this to make it better? Hubby and I go to a chinese resturant that has a buffet and they have the crabmeat in butter, but I didnt know if there is anything I should add to the butter and meat for more flavor. I have picky eaters in my house. Any suggestions????
Yes, I would put some oil in a skillet or wok, stir fry some onion, sweet red pepper, when the are about done add some garlic(you don't want to burn the garlic). Flash heat the meat in with this, sprinkle with Accent(msg) and serve over the rice.

I have done a lot of research on MSG.. there is NO scientific research I can find that holds up the msg problems. That all developed from a single food reviewer who became ill after eating Chinese food many decades ago. In many eastern locations, msg is kept on the table much like salt and pepper is here. The MSG thing is one of those Myths that has been carried on for years. I find it can really add something to some foods.
by the way MSG is totally natural..if you eat meat, you eat MSG..
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Master Chef

I'm glad to have that information about the msg, Jeff.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Yes, I would put some oil in a skillet or wok, stir fry some onion, sweet red pepper, when the are about done add some garlic(you don't want to burn the garlic). Flash heat the meat in with this, sprinkle with Accent(msg) and serve over the rice.

I have done a lot of research on MSG.. there is NO scientific research I can find that holds up the msg problems. That all developed from a single food reviewer who became ill after eating Chinese food many decades ago. In many eastern locations, msg is kept on the table much like salt and pepper is here. The MSG thing is one of those Myths that has been carried on for years. I find it can really add something to some foods.
by the way MSG is totally natural..if you eat meat, you eat MSG..
sorry Jeff, but the MSG that people buy in the red can is NOT "the same" as naturally occurring msg in meat and mushrooms. It is a chemically produced item that is, in fact, dangerous for quite a large number of people, including me.

FWIW, I would suggest everyone read the ingredients in the imitation crab meat before ingesting it, as well. I think a lot fewer people would eat it if they did.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Master Chef

Oh, good grief. Will no one ever get that every body is different?! Some are sensitive to MSG, some aren't.

As is often the case, I'm too late to help you with this meal, but if it was me, I'd take the crab, some of the rice, an egg, moosh it all together (You know that's a haute cuisine term) with some herbs and spices (a good Chesapeake blend would be ideal) and make crab cakes.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, good grief. Will no one ever get that every body is different?! Some are sensitive to MSG, some aren't.

As is often the case, I'm too late to help you with this meal, but if it was me, I'd take the crab, some of the rice, an egg, moosh it all together (You know that's a haute cuisine term) with some herbs and spices (a good Chesapeake blend would be ideal) and make crab cakes.
The MSG is perhaps the LEAST objectionable ingredient in the fake crabmeat, Claire.

Tags
imitation crab