"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Red face Imitation Crabmeat & White Rice?

I have some imitation crabmeat and wanted suggestions on how to saute in butter and serve with rice? Is there anything that I could add to this to make it better? Hubby and I go to a chinese resturant that has a buffet and they have the crabmeat in butter, but I didnt know if there is anything I should add to the butter and meat for more flavor. I have picky eaters in my house. Any suggestions????

__________________

__________________
maknicnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
You could add some broccoli florets, chopped garlic, & chopped onion & turn your crabmeat into a version of the popular Chinese stirfry "Coral & Jade".

(Picky eaters just have to go hungry in my house.)
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Norai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
This isn't sauteed with butter like you mentioned, but I make sushi boats out of the crab - whip it up in the food processor with some mayo and then wrap that and the rice with nori.
__________________
Norai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Jeff G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by maknicnat View Post
I have some imitation crabmeat and wanted suggestions on how to saute in butter and serve with rice? Is there anything that I could add to this to make it better? Hubby and I go to a chinese resturant that has a buffet and they have the crabmeat in butter, but I didnt know if there is anything I should add to the butter and meat for more flavor. I have picky eaters in my house. Any suggestions????
Yes, I would put some oil in a skillet or wok, stir fry some onion, sweet red pepper, when the are about done add some garlic(you don't want to burn the garlic). Flash heat the meat in with this, sprinkle with Accent(msg) and serve over the rice.

I have done a lot of research on MSG.. there is NO scientific research I can find that holds up the msg problems. That all developed from a single food reviewer who became ill after eating Chinese food many decades ago. In many eastern locations, msg is kept on the table much like salt and pepper is here. The MSG thing is one of those Myths that has been carried on for years. I find it can really add something to some foods.
by the way MSG is totally natural..if you eat meat, you eat MSG..
__________________
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I'm glad to have that information about the msg, Jeff.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Yes, I would put some oil in a skillet or wok, stir fry some onion, sweet red pepper, when the are about done add some garlic(you don't want to burn the garlic). Flash heat the meat in with this, sprinkle with Accent(msg) and serve over the rice.

I have done a lot of research on MSG.. there is NO scientific research I can find that holds up the msg problems. That all developed from a single food reviewer who became ill after eating Chinese food many decades ago. In many eastern locations, msg is kept on the table much like salt and pepper is here. The MSG thing is one of those Myths that has been carried on for years. I find it can really add something to some foods.
by the way MSG is totally natural..if you eat meat, you eat MSG..
sorry Jeff, but the MSG that people buy in the red can is NOT "the same" as naturally occurring msg in meat and mushrooms. It is a chemically produced item that is, in fact, dangerous for quite a large number of people, including me.

FWIW, I would suggest everyone read the ingredients in the imitation crab meat before ingesting it, as well. I think a lot fewer people would eat it if they did.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Oh, good grief. Will no one ever get that every body is different?! Some are sensitive to MSG, some aren't.

As is often the case, I'm too late to help you with this meal, but if it was me, I'd take the crab, some of the rice, an egg, moosh it all together (You know that's a haute cuisine term) with some herbs and spices (a good Chesapeake blend would be ideal) and make crab cakes.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, good grief. Will no one ever get that every body is different?! Some are sensitive to MSG, some aren't.

As is often the case, I'm too late to help you with this meal, but if it was me, I'd take the crab, some of the rice, an egg, moosh it all together (You know that's a haute cuisine term) with some herbs and spices (a good Chesapeake blend would be ideal) and make crab cakes.
The MSG is perhaps the LEAST objectionable ingredient in the fake crabmeat, Claire.
__________________

__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
imitation crab

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.