In Need of a Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dinner for four tonight will be baked Greek Chicken with stuffing, steamed broccoli, garlic mashed potatoes. I need a salad.
Here's what I have.
large head of fresh lettuce
sweet onions
celery
25# pound bag of large Florida Oranges
Roma tomatoes
a shelf full of Penzeys Spices plus I live a few blocks from their factory. (lucky me)
Typical stuff like sour cream, mayonnaise , mustards, relishes, but not many salad dressings. A little ranch and a little blue cheese.

You have the makings of a wonderful salad Chaplain Kent!

Do you have any balsamic or red wine vinegar? If so, soak thin onion rings or half rings in a small amount of vinegar for about 10 or 15 minutes. tear your lettuce into bite sized chunks and put in bowl or individual plates. Slice the celery thin on the bias and sprinkle on the lettuce. Drain the onions (save the vinegar) and sprinkle them about as well. Section a couple of oranges (one might do if they are large, depending on the number of servings) and again scatter over the salad.

Make a vinaigrette with the reserved vinegar, a bit of dijon (or other if you don't have it), salt, pepper and some herbs (change up as you like or have) including thyme, rosemary (ground up) and parsley. Fresh is best, but if you don't have it then use small amounts of dried. mix this together and wisk in enough evoo to bring it to the right consistency.

At serving time drizzle with the dressing. If you have some mozzarella or goat cheese then add small chunks of that as well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I saw there was only one response to this post and thought I'd try to help. Then I read Laurie's response. Perfect. I wouldn't add a thing, excellent suggestion. Oh wait, I would add a little pinch of sugar to the dressing to suit our tastes, but maybe not for everyone.

My favorite salad dressing.. sweetened mayonaise(or miracle whip).

Mayo, sugar, milk.. thats it.

Now if you have some greek olives and feta and onion along with the tomatoes.. I think you have your salad..

Glad it worked for you!

Edit:
I assume you meant mine.. but Jeff's is good too. I use a similar dressing on my broccoli salad.

Back
Top Bottom