In the dorms (for now)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studentcook

Assistant Cook
I am in Madison, Wisconsin right now for the summer in the dorms. I have very few dishes to work with like a big pot, a crappy pan, a smaller pot, and an even smaller pot. (I can post pics if needed) Oh, and a parsing knife.

I went to the farmer's market here this past weekend and bought this:

- 1 lb emu burger meat
- 1 lb ostrich stew meat
- 1.65 lb elk roast
- 1 lamb heart
- 1 dozen duck eggs
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tube of beef braunschweiger
- 1 package of "homemade" lenguini
- 1 package of "homemade" tortillas
- 2 bundles of small carrots
- 1 tray of mushrooms
- 2 "bundles" of stinging nettles
- 1 bag of "parslunes" <- I can't remember the name of what this is... but I remember it looked something like that.
- 1 kolrabi
- 1 bundle of collard greens
- 1 red bell pepper
- maybe 1 or 2 leftover jicamas

Some ideas I was thinking about so far:

1. Breakfast
Cook the duck eggs overeasy where it is extremely runny and eat that with rice and a slice of the braunschweiger.

2. the rest
^ Is there a way I could make a stew or soup with everything else that I have left? I like to cook but I don't have a lot of time so if I can cook everything in a stew/soup that would be very helpful. Or even if I split it up into two dishes.

^ Maybe tortillas with the emu burger meat, 1 or 2 tomatoes, some of the braunschweiger, and I could run to the store real fast and buy some more vegetables specifically for the tortillas.

^^ Then, I could put the rest into some sort of stew.

What do you think or if you just suggest totally other dishes altogether then that is fine as well.

What do you have to cook on? Do you have a burner thing, a microwave, or toaster oven?

The dorm that I am in actually has a community kitchen with a full stove with the exhaust range hood over it. It also has a nice top freezer refrigerator as well as having a blender and brand new microwave.

It is really raining hard tonight so I'm not too sure if I'll be able to run to the store. I got super wet on my way to the dorms from the library. I may be stuck working with what I have on hand. But please still let me know if I need other veggies because I may be able to catch a ride there. It's only like 5 minutes away.

If you have all the lousy pots and pans why would you buy all this fancy stuff? All those tings require careful cooking. Some of it will require slow stewing some stuff is cook already and can be served as is, but it really is a strange choice. Ostrich meat is tough and has to be cooked slowly, and so is the other meats.

Have you thought of purchasing some better pots and pans? I know Walmart has cookware sets that aren't too expensive.

Maybe your budget is limited, if you're a college student. I have no idea what to do with emu burger.

Let me go look up some cooking sets at Walmart. I bought a set for my neighbors, who suffered an awful house fire and their whole kitchen is gone. I'll post it for you.

In that case then, should I just forget about eating the emu, ostrich, and elk tonight? If so, then can I just put them in water with your recommendation of spices, bring it to a boil and just let it sit all night summering until tomorrow evening it is soft? (about 20 hours) Then, I can do the recipe you recommend?

For tonight then, hmmm... How about this recipe?

Carrot Top Recipes | NJ Farm
^ Carrot top tea

Sweet, Sticky and Spicy Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com
^ and this for dinner?

@catlady - I will be returning home in just one month so I don't think I should buy anything. I am only here for the summer.

Last edited:
Re:- Runny eggs for breakfast (or any other meal)

Duck eggs should not be consumed unless thoroughly cooked. You risk food poisoning if you use duck eggs for soft boiled/fried/ etc., eggs or if used in uncooked or semi-cooked desserts and sauces such as mousses or hollandaise sauce. Ducks are not discriminating about where they lay their eggs and often do so in stagnant water where the eggs can be contaminated. The eggs are deemed to be safe if used in cakes where they will be thoroughly cooked.

safefood | Cooking eggs safely

Foodies warned over duck eggs after salmonella outbreak - Telegraph

Nothing new about this. I remember being told about it when I was a little girl, in the early '50s, by my mother who was told by her mother who was a farmer's daughter.

Last edited:
- 1 lb emu burger meat
- 1 lb ostrich stew meat
- 1.65 lb elk roast
- 1 lamb heart
- 1 dozen duck eggs

Are you used to eating these things? It seems odd to me that an American college student in Madison, Wisconsin would choose these items, not to mention - 2 "bundles" of stinging nettles. I'm a little suspicious that you're pulling our leg.
If I'm wrong, then my apologies that I haven't the slightest clue how to help with your cooking challenge.

- 1 lb emu burger meat
- 1 lb ostrich stew meat
- 1.65 lb elk roast
- 1 lamb heart
- 1 dozen duck eggs

Are you used to eating these things? It seems odd to me that an American college student in Madison, Wisconsin would choose these items, not to mention - 2 "bundles" of stinging nettles. I'm a little suspicious that you're pulling our leg.
If I'm wrong, then my apologies that I haven't the slightest clue how to help with your cooking challenge.

+1 ;) well, actually the stinging nettles is the only thing I can think how to use with the equipment you have. Make soup with it. But i am Russian and it commonly used for cold soup.

Last edited:
Funny, Kayelle, I was thinking the same thing. When I was a poor college student, those would be the last ingredients I'd go with.

- 1 lb emu burger meat
- 1 lb ostrich stew meat
- 1.65 lb elk roast
- 1 lamb heart
- 1 dozen duck eggs

When I was a poor college student, keeping the beer supply flowing was the main concern. Food was an after thought. Good thing the coast was close and I was an excellent spearfisherman, crab and lobster hunter.:ohmy:

- 1 lb emu burger meat
- 1 lb ostrich stew meat
- 1.65 lb elk roast
- 1 lamb heart
- 1 dozen duck eggs

Like. :ermm:

I would not post here if I was pulling your leg. I have purchased all of these items and need to find a way to cook them before they spoil. If it seems does not seem plausible then my apologies.

I ate the duck eggs already sunny side up. I have an extensive history of eating raw meats so that could be why I do not feel ill. Thank you for the heads up nonetheless. I guess I will cook the duck eggs scrambled from now on to ensure that they are thoroughly cooked. However, they were purchased at a farmer's market here from a lady who only had one dozen eggs for the entire day since she reported that she is having trouble with her ducks laying eggs or something like that. I have a feeling that the eggs are safe to eat like I did this morning but I will keep that in mind.

- 1 lb emu burger meat
- 1 lb ostrich stew meat
- 1.65 lb elk roast
- 1 lamb heart
- 1 dozen duck eggs

He's not pulling your leg. I happen to be very familiar with that Madison farmer's market (assuming it's the one on capitol square) and you can in fact buy elk, emu, and a lot of other gourmet items there.

As far as how to cook those types of lean game meats, I would not use long cooking times or they will end up like leather and will develop a metallic, liver like flavor. Instead, go for medium rare - certainly no more done than medium.

I also have to add that as the father of a college age student, I'm going to suggest you may want to be a little more budget conscious in your shopping. I realize the farmers market there is pretty awesome, but it's also super expensive. You might want to check out someplace like Fresh Madison Market. Better prices and a good selection of healthy foods. Anyway, that's where I'd go if I were in that area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom