"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is there a site with an ingredients checklist?

I am new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I really don't do a lot of cooking at home, but want to start, because it's healthier and cheaper, and I want to be able to make nice dinners for guests.

So, I am wondering if there exists a website or application where there's a checklist full of all sorts of ingredients, spices and foods, and you check off all the items that you currently have (and possibly even save this as your personal Inventory list), and then it searches for recipes that you can cook, based solely on only those ingredients you have.

Y'know what I mean?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Head Chef

I don't know about a site but wanted to
Welcome you to DC

Josie

Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by venorept View Post
I am new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I really don't do a lot of cooking at home, but want to start, because it's healthier and cheaper, and I want to be able to make nice dinners for guests.

So, I am wondering if there exists a website or application where there's a checklist full of all sorts of ingredients, spices and foods, and you check off all the items that you currently have (and possibly even save this as your personal Inventory list), and then it searches for recipes that you can cook, based solely on only those ingredients you have.

Y'know what I mean?
Welcome to DC, Venorept. I'd suggest you build your store of basics, by choosing a recipe you'd like to make. Make your grocery list from the recipe. As you try each new recipe your store of staples will grow naturally with the things you like to make. If you like an ingredient, make sure to add it back to your grocery list when you're low or use the last of it.

Good luck and have fun. You're in a great place to find new recipes that have been tried and tweaked already for you and lots of great people to help you out.

I had recently moved a year and a half ago and had to start over. I gradually amassed my basics, but made my own list by taking about 6 months worth of cash register receipts and listing them using a spreadsheet adding the department as well. After listing them all, I removed any duplicates, then sorted them alphabetically, as well as by department (dairy, baking, beverage) then printed the list out.

I keep a grocery list handy and before I go to the store, I look over my spreadsheet list to make sure I have everything I need.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Cook

I actually do know a couple great sites for this!!!

Here are my recommendations:

Google Base API demo: Recipe Book

Allrecipes - Ingredient Search

and Supercook: recipe search by ingredients you have at home which I think is my favorite!

I hope that this helps!!!! :D
Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Wow, thanks! I will definitely check out those links, especiall Supercook.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the info, Zhizara!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Welcome to DC, Venorept. I'd suggest you build your store of basics, by choosing a recipe you'd like to make. Make your grocery list from the recipe. As you try each new recipe your store of staples will grow naturally with the things you like to make. If you like an ingredient, make sure to add it back to your grocery list when you're low or use the last of it.
This is a really good suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I had recently moved a year and a half ago and had to start over. I gradually amassed my basics, but made my own list by taking about 6 months worth of cash register receipts and listing them using a spreadsheet adding the department as well. After listing them all, I removed any duplicates, then sorted them alphabetically, as well as by department (dairy, baking, beverage) then printed the list out.

I keep a grocery list handy and before I go to the store, I look over my spreadsheet list to make sure I have everything I need.
Wow....that's way more organized than my approach!

I used to keep a grocery list vigilantly because I would only go grocery shopping every 10 to 14 days and always had to stock up on a lot. Now that I'm living in the Philippines a lot of what I buy is either fresh (vegetables and fruits aren't treated with preservatives here) or a basic stock item like flour, sugar, butter, etc. Since food here doesn't seem to keep as long I find myself shopping for a small amount of things every 2 to 3 days....and have grown out of the habit of keeping a list. Now I might be out running other errands and just stop in the store to "feel my way through" what I need.

I'm also limited in what I can carry as 95% of the time we're on our scooter.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
By the way, Venorept, someone asked a very similar question last year not long after I joined and I remembered responding. I just looked up my old post, it has a pretty comprehensive list of what I consider my "basic kitchen stock", plus a lot of other people's responses with their own lists. Maybe you'll find it helpful even as a point of reference?

The Essential Grocery List
Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
Head Chef

Here's a nice blog that might help you out as well: The Perfect Pantry. Tons of good info and recipes there.

While I'm not as organized or disciplined as the other Zhizara <3 I definitely felt a twinge of geek envy at the spreadsheet idea.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote