ISO Pot roast suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burgy61

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone, I have a six pound chuck roast and am looking for a new way to fix it. Normally I fix it with potatoes, carrots and onions, a little red wine and some spices. It always comes out great and the leftovers make a killer stew later in the week.

Tonight I feel like doing something different, any suggestions?

Thanks,

burgy

Last edited:
Make the Beef version of Pulled Pork.

Rub it all over with a BBQ rub, cook it low and slow (225 F for 10 hours or ao) until the internal temperature reaches 190F-200F and pull or shred it. Serve on a hearty roll with your favorite BBQ sauce.

BBQ everything is great, thanks for the suggestion, to bad half the family doesn't like BBQ.:)

I am thinking about cooking it on the grill though. Rub it down with a spice rub, wrap it in foil and cook it on low heat for several hours.

That sounds good too and basically still what Andy was suggesting. You're still going to be cooking it to the pulled stage. Should be wonderful no matter which way you go with.

While you have your grill going you could grill some assorted veggies (foreground in bowl already, potato slices, or even romaine halves (on the grill).

img_579096_0_4b1a50f0bdbcb10c326544b281bdd618.jpg

kitchenelf, you must be a mind reader. I was thinking about grilling corn on the cob and a mixture of potatoes, red onions and peppers. :LOL:

You're right, I would still be cooking to the pulled stage. I'm going through my spice shelf now looking for a combination to use As long as it doesn't taste like BBQ everyone will like it.

My slow cooker Italian Pot Roast :

. 1 large onion, diced
. 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
. 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
. 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
. 1 (1 ounce) packet dry au jus mix
4 cups water, or amount to cover

Place the pot roast in a slow cooker. Add the onion, celery, red and green bell peppers, au jus mix, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours, or until tender.

This was sooooo good.

that does sound good, thanks 6-6.

i used to make a spicy pot roast on the stovetop years ago.

i remember rubbing the roast with worcestershire sauce, then making a spice rub out of powdered garlic, powdered onions, paprika, s&p, hot pepper flakes, powdered cayenne pepper, and dried oregano, basil and parsley. this was liberally rubbed into the meat, and fresh slices of garlic were inserted into slits in the meat.
the hunk of beef was well browned, almost to the point of blackening the spices, in a heavy 8 quart stainless steel pot. then the pot was deglazed with beef stock, and carrots, celery, more garlic, and onions were added.

OK, get a can of tomato bisque soup, mix it up with the water like it says on the can. Pour it over the roast, potatoes, carrots, onions that you normally use. Add some pepper and a little salt, stick it in the oven and roast. When it's done you have a great roast with a tomato based gravy.... delicious...

If it's not too late - you could cut it in half (save half for later), and prepare another dish, i.e.

Beef bourgignon
Carbonnade
Sauerbraten
Moo Shoo

I have a recipe for Ginger beef prepared in a slow cooker - with carrots, green onions & snow peas -- you could add in some broc as well, that I serve over rice or with a noodle. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I ended up doing it on the grill with veggies.Other than I used to much pepper in my rub it was delicious.The leftovers will still be made into stew tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom