ISO Savory Vol au Vent Fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gerri

Assistant Cook
Sorry I am new at this and my first message looked a bit curt, I have some vol au vent cases and would like some ideas on savory fillings.
Hope some one out there can help

Hi Gerri, welcome to DC. You are doing just fine! Relax and enjoy - we are a pretty friendly bunch here.

Vol au vent fillings can actually be quite simple. A classic is a basic "chicken pot pie" filling with small pieces of chicken breast or thighs in a gravy with small vegetables such as peas, carrots, onion, etc. You can even use frozen mixed vegetables.

I have also taken a piece of cheaper cut beef such as stew meat or round steak, cooked in a crockpot or covered in the oven with onions, mushrooms, a bit of beef stock and seasonings. You can even use BBQ sauce. If you do it in the oven, just make sure the temperature is low (250 - 300) and cook is slow and make sure there is sufficient liquid.

Any stew type filling works well.

Let us know what you decided and how it went!

Thanks with the help with the vol au vonts, I decided to go with my first idea I placed some cooked onion, then some cooked spinach and top them off with blue vein cheese. They were a hit and so easy thanks again Gerri

Ny Mother always used them for Turkey a la King. I like frying up different kinds of sliced mushrooms with a bit of onion and fresh thyme. Deglaze the pan with some Madeira or brandy, and add some heavy cream.

Back
Top Bottom