"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Simple Mexican Food Ideas

I have plenty of ground beef and a can of refried beans hanging out in my kitchen and I'm dying to use them in something. I think I have most of the "Americanized Mexican food" staples in the kitchen as well: lettuce, tortillas, cheese, onion, taco seasoning, etc. In any case, I was hoping for a recipe from someone. I have a few ideas, but nothing concrete and I'm too tired to come up with anything on my own. Also, I don't have: rice, taco shells or tomatoes. But that's okay, because I'm not a big taco fan, and I do have some tomato sauce if necessary. I've got plenty of time to ruminate on borrowed ideas while the ground beef thaws. :) Thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Head Chef

Make burritos or quesadillas.

For burritos, saute onion and garlic, add ground beef, beans, spices, and tomato sauce - cook until beef is done. Roll up in tortillas, sprinkle with cheddar or Monterey Jack - heat in oven until cheese is melted.

For Quesadillas, can saute same ingredients as above, (I use salsa instead of tomato sauce) - use sliced onions (halved) instead of chopped, and red bell pepper slices. Cook until vegetables are crisp/tender, then add beef, etc. Add to half of each tortilla in skillet, top with cheese - fold over...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just brown the beef with taco seasoning and chopped onions, mix in the beans, a can of Rotel if you have it, or not, put in a glass baking dish, top with cheese, nuke, and top with lettuce and salsa. Sour cream and green onions are nice on top too, and if you have some fritos, even better!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Do you hae anything like Velveeta shells and cheese? Brown the ground beef and add a little taco seasoning and then mix it into the shells and cheese. Turns out really good! Goes great with some Rotel if you have it.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOrchid310 View Post
I have plenty of ground beef and a can of refried beans hanging out in my kitchen and I'm dying to use them in something. I think I have most of the "Americanized Mexican food" staples in the kitchen as well: lettuce, tortillas, cheese, onion, taco seasoning, etc. In any case, I was hoping for a recipe from someone. ...

You've pretty much described tostadas, with tortillas, refried beans, hamburger, etc. For example:

Beef Tostadas Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Tostadas Recipe - Food.com - 42591
Single and Starving: Ground Beef Tostadas onioncloute
Ground Beef Tostada Filling Recipes - Main Dish Beef Entree Recipes

Here's the google search I used: beef tostadas recipes +hamburger
Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

pizza

Tags
mexican, food