ISO - Spam Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All Spam is, a smoked picnic shoulder shredded. Then it is packed with the natural gelatin. :angel:
Would that Spam was even remotely as tasty as this description suggests! It came over here as part of the American food parcels during the second world war and stayed. Then, during food rationing when we really needed it, there might have been an excuse for it but it's still sold in supermarkets. I can't begin to understand why.

Would that Spam was even remotely as tasty as this description suggests! It came over here as part of the American food parcels during the second world war and stayed. Then, during food rationing when we really needed it, there might have been an excuse for it but it's still sold in supermarkets. I can't begin to understand why.

Next to Poi you could say it is the National Dish of Hawaii. It arrived there also from WWII. And it stayed. Now it comes in different flavors. Spicy, Lite, etc. Hormel is having a hard time at present to keep it on the shelves. So there must be something to it. Evidently your countrymen fell in love with it. So it has stayed. Not a bad product at all. As you read through this thread, you will see that a lot of folks eat it today. Even myself. I buy the Lite edition. Very little salt. A quick fix when I need some protein. Topped with a couple of eggs, a quick breakfast. Between two pieces of bread, a quick lunch. And served with pineapple crushed or slices, can become an elegant evening meal.

There are plenty of reasons why you still find it in your supermarkets. Because the people have spoken. They like it. :angel:

It tastes like ham and it keeps a long time. And people like it. Not everyone has to.

I'll betcha it's the preppers buying it up, lol.
I still have a can in the cupboard from when I used it as a prop. I'd make a Spam sandwich before I would a pimento loaf sandwich.
I'll have to try frying it in bacon grease next time.

Spam au Poivre

I know I am revising another old thread, but we are such SPAM lovers and this thread reminded me of a recipe we made couple of years ago and forgot all about. It received a "Very Good" rating from both of us. It's in the folder to make again real soon.

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat.

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter
2 tsp salt
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand for 1 hour before using.
Yield: 1 3/4 cups

Source: "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe pub. 2005

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom