"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Left over boiled shrimp and crawfish

Ok, this is a bit different. Iíve got the meat, and the additives are not a problem (Iíll go get them if I donít have them). So hereís the problem, we had another boil and this time there is lots of left over boiled (seasoned too) shrimp and crawfish. About 2-3 pounds. What can you do with this cooked meat? Shrimp & crawfish cakes is one option? Shrimp and crawfish cocktail salad. Raw picking food. Anything else? We used to use left over seafood for stuffingÖÖbut Iím not stuffing anything anytime soon! I need creative ideas on what to do with this! Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
Head Chef

A salad? Not necessarily a cocktail salad. Maybe something with mayo. Or with pasta. Would just go into the kitchen and have some fun with it.

Wish I had that problem. God bless.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Cook

Boy, I wish I had your 'problem!'

Asian Spring Rolls! Cucs, mint, ginger, etc. w/ the shrimp. Soy dipping sauce. Yum.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I know it's summer and it's hot, but I'd have that wonderful shellfish in a pot of cioppino, a big green salad and lots of nice crusty french bread for dipping into the sauce..I love to freeze several portions for later use..Emmmmm
kadesma
Old 08-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Head Chef

How about a pizza topped with seafood, roasted corn, scallions, parmesan or any cheese. Maybe grill the pizza? Or chowder?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Make a creole sauce.....toss the meats in at the very last just long enough to heat. Serve over rice....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Master Chef

That sounds good, Uncle Bob.

Another suggestion: make a seafood pasta, using jarred or homemade Alfredo Sauce or a white sauce flavored with garlic. Add the seafood to the warm sauce and toss with cooked pasta. Top with freshly grated parmesan and serve with warm crusty bread.
We fix this dish frequently, and really enjoy it.

Or...Get a box of Zatarain's Gumbo mix, prepare according to directions, and add your shrimp and crawfish to that at the very last. You could make your own gumbo, of course, but the Zatarain's mix is pretty darned good.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I'd toss them with sliced celery, roasted red peppers, garlic, scallions and a mustardy vinaigrette for a fab salad, served up with some crusty bread.

Any more exposure to heat is likely to render them rubbery.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Head Chef

SEAFOOD PAELLA - Add in the shrimp and crawfish at the end, to heat through. Make a big cold pitcher of Sangria and serve with Tapas. Flan for dessert.

Here's a quick version:
Shrimp Paella Recipe, Paella Recipe, Shrimp Recipe
(Add-ins can be mussels or steamed clams.)

Or, stuff the shrimp with pesto and wrap each with 1/2 a slice of cooked bacon - serve on toothpicks as an appy.

Or, shrimp/crawfish tacos. Warm the shrimp/crawfish, serve in flour or corn tortillas w fresh tomato salsa - chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, green onions, cilantro and lime juice, s&p, to taste & sliced avos w lime juice on the side and gazpacho.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Great ideas here! I’d like to do them all! After conversing with DW, she’s picked Alfredo sauce and noodles. She’s not a big fan of crawfish, so I may have enough to do a small (single serving) Creole sauce with rice with those. We have more shrimp than crawfish, but I can’t talk her into eating the mudbugs. Thanks everyone!