"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Good point Jennyema. If you can freeze bread dough for later, why not repackage these biscuits and freeze them for later.
I think I'm going to give that a try, along with looking for those frozen ones.

One of the pitfalls of cooking for yourself I guess.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
What's a "leftover biscuit"??? Never seen one.

Might be more effort than you want Pacanis but have you tried making Bisquick biscuits? they are YUMMY, easy, and would probably freeze just fine. I make them with cheddar and garlic....

Or you can just pack up your extras and put them in the mail.....
:)

Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I'd freeze them and pull out what you need for a meal be it gravy at breakfast or stew at dinner.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I actually have some bisquick
I use it if I don't have the other kind
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Use only what you need for one meal and put the rest in the refrigerator for one or two days. Remember to rest the dough when you put it out the next day for another meal which for me will consist perhaps of cooked fillings of meat and vegie and/or just washed, dried well, spinach. Spread the dough, put your fillings in and roll with the fillings inside. Baked in a 350F till brown at the top, like a biscuit but with fillings.

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
If you had some raw dough left over, ball it together, then roll it out flat. Place some shredded cheese/minced olives/diced ham/seasonings/whatever floats your boat on one side. Then fold over like a calzone and press the edges together with a fork. Bake in a 350 oven until the biscuit is golden brown.
That reminds me - Pacanis, you could make a variation of pigs in a blanket. Cut a hot dog into pieces that will fit in the biscuit, cut a slit in the dog pieces and insert a piece of cheese, roll it all up in the biscuit, and bake. You can also use those little sausages for this, too, but beware - they're addictive
Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
Master Chef

pacanis.... I refer to myslef as the queen of mini-sammies. I love them and they are fun to make. As for left-over biscuits.... well, you could cut them in half, add a bit of butter or mayo, and grill in hot pan. Then top with hamburger meat... or any meat for that matter. I make mini hamburgers all the time and are one of my favorites. But I usually use the Hawaiian sweet rolls for that. Or make some chipped beef gravy and use the biscuits for that...... I think you got some good ideas form the folks here!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I just put them in the freezer. I'll pull them out as needed and see what the texture and taste is like. Cutting them in half and frying a little sounds like it could bring them back to life. I know that when I freeze buns (before I think they are going to mold), I need to toast them on the grill a bit to get rid of that "freezer taste".
Those little hot dog things sound like a great snack.

I certainly got some good ideas here to play around with. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
You should really make your own. It's only a tiny bit more involved than what you're already doing, and you can infuse cheese and whatnot IN TO the dough :)

Or, if you don't want to completely home-made, get some Bisquick and do it with that!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
Head Chef

A breakfast side to your sausage gravy would be doughnuts. Heat about 2 inches of oil to 375, punch a hole in the middle of the biscuit, drop into the oil for 90 seconds, flip for another 60, drain on a towel and toss with sugar. Not healthy but hey, you're already having sausage gravy. When we have it [sausage gravy] for breakfast, it's a no rules morning and calories don't count.