Leftover biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they haven't been cooked they make great dumplings. Just pop them on top of some heated stew and cover the pot. Let them steam, they are done when you press them with a finger and the push back.

They make Dinty Moore stew edible!!

Things I grew up with:

1) Toasted Biscuits: Split the biscuits, smear with butter, run under the broiler until toasted, serve drizzled with molasses or honey, or a smear of jam, jelly, etc.

2) Breaded Tomatoes: sauté some chopped onion in some bacon drippings, add a 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes (including juice) and heat - break up some biscuits and add to the pot - cook until heated through and biscuits are getting a little soggy.

3) Open-Faced mini Sloppy Joes: Sauté some onion, add ground beef and brown, drain well - add a squirt of tomato-based BBQ sauce and a squirt or two of tomato ketchup. Split buiscuits - run under the broiler to lightly toast, serve with meat served over the top.

Grandma never wasted anything ....

First you make a Roux...:ermm: No! No! No! Wrong recipe... Ah...First you make a pot of strong coffee. (Coffee and chicory is best!) Then you quarter the canned biscuits....deep fry until golden brown...it only takes a couple of minutes...Take them up on paper towels and liberally sprinkle with powdered sugar....Pour 1/2 cup hot strong coffee, top off with hot cream/milk....Sit back, watch the sun come up and enjoy your Cafe au Lait, and "beignets"

I actually tried deep frying the uncooked biscuits before. Paula Dean's recipe..... I filled them with a honey and butter mixture after I pulled them from the fryer using a condiment style squirt bottle. One of the worse things I ever ate. I must have done something wrong because she sure made them sound good....
I think I'll pick up some powdered sugar and give your idea a try. Maybe I'm more of a sugar man than a honey man :)

Be sure to cut the biscuits in to fourths...cook until done...shouldn't take long...fry just a couple and try them...then adjust your cooking time accordingly... IMO Don't/Do Not listen to Miss Deen!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

lol, I try not to, UB. I think this biscuit thing of hers has been the only thing I even felt like trying.
Your way sounds much better :chef:

I just remembered something else a friend of mine does - cut the raw biscuits into quarters, mix some sugar and cinnamon together in a bag, then shake the biscuit pieces in the bag to coat evenly. Bake as usual.

I'll bet these quartered and cooked ideas I'm getting would be great to keep in a ziploc for snacks. Like donut holes.

We have found when using biscuits for doughnuts, the plain old refrigerator biscuits are best. The flaky ones don't seem to fry right, at least for us. Just another thought.

We have found when using biscuits for doughnuts, the plain old refrigerator biscuits are best. The flaky ones don't seem to fry right, at least for us. Just another thought.

Thanks. I know the ones you are talking about. I like the big flaky ones for sausage gravy, but I also want to buy what I am going to use all up, too.

I'll bet these quartered and cooked ideas I'm getting would be great to keep in a ziploc for snacks. Like donut holes.

That does sound good :) Another idea: Instead of sweet stuff, use savory ingredients for tossing the pieces in: granulated garlic, onion powder, dried herb mix of your choice, bake as usual :chef:

That does sound good :) Another idea: Instead of sweet stuff, use savory ingredients for tossing the pieces in: granulated garlic, onion powder, dried herb mix of your choice, bake as usual :chef:

I was thinking that too....maybe roll them out and make mini "bread" sticks or even cheese sticks

When I was a Girl Scout (a loooong time ago) we used to roll each biscuit out flat and make mini pizzas.

That's a spiffy idea, toomany.
I could cook them, freeze them, then take them out when needed for a little snack.

I love the bag of individula frozen ones! Great for quick no fuss meals! I just pull out two at a time when my DF want sausage gravy and biscuits and I just want a bagel! And they bake up so light and buttery no need to add more.

I just remembered something else a friend of mine does - cut the raw biscuits into quarters, mix some sugar and cinnamon together in a bag, then shake the biscuit pieces in the bag to coat evenly. Bake as usual.
That sounds delicious and clever. I have some frozen uncooked biscuits and was wondering if I could use them as a topper to a berry dessert. (I have a slew of fresh raz/black/straw/blue) Don't they call that a spoonbread or something? Any tips as to how to make that work with the freezer biscuits?

That sounds delicious and clever. I have some frozen uncooked biscuits and was wondering if I could use them as a topper to a berry dessert. (I have a slew of fresh raz/black/straw/blue) Don't they call that a spoonbread or something? Any tips as to how to make that work with the freezer biscuits?

That sounds like a cobbler to me. I haven't done it, so no tips - sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in :)

Spoon Bread, as I know it, is kinda like a cornbread souffle. You use cornmeal and egg whites. It has a custard like center. I think this would be more like a cobbler.

You could probably just lay the frozen biscuits on top of the fruit (sweetened with a little sugar and maybe some cornstarch) and bake them at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes or so until the biscuits are done.

Last edited:
Spoon Bread, as I know it, is kinda like a cornbread souffle. You use cornmeal and egg whites. It has a custard like center. I think this would be more like a cobbler.

You could probably just lay the frozen biscuits on top of the fruit (sweetened with a little sugar and maybe some cornstarch) and bake them at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes or so until the biscuits are done.
That is what we call spoonbread in Richmond. More a corn pudding than a cobbler. I made a cobbler the other day and used croissant dough for the topping. Worked well. I see no reason why biscuit dough would not work as well. I have tried cooking half of a roll of store bought cinnamon rolls and saving the rest for later in the fridge. Didn't work. I would be tempted to try freezing the leftover rolls. I freeze bread and the like.

Back
Top Bottom