"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Leftover biscuits

When I'm in the mood for sausage gravy and biscuits I buy a container of Pillsbury Grands. The store I shop does not have the smaller half size container. Can you help me be creative with all the leftover biscuits?
I was thinking breakfast sandwiches, but they seem too small for that, even though they are a larger biscuit. I also don't necessarily want to plan when I'm making chicken soup or stew with when I want sausage gravy.... I was thinking I could drop the biscuits in. Do they freeze well for this purpose? They seem pretty one dimensional.

Any ideas?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sprinkle them with a little sugar before baking, then split and top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream for strawberry shortcake.

Nothing wrong with small breakfast sandwiches The fillings are usually not extremely healthy - eggs are, but breakfast meats and cheese are high in fat. Have some fruit on the side and it should be satisfying.

HTH.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmmmm, I like strawberries. I never buy any, but I like them when I get them. That might be an idea. I could use them up for desserts. Thanks.
BTW, I cook them all at once, so the sugar sprinkling will have to be for reheating them or something.
Do I have to cook them all at once? I was under the impression I did, but maybe I can save some for later?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hmmmm, I like strawberries. I never buy any, but I like them when I get them. That might be an idea. I could use them up for desserts. Thanks.
BTW, I cook them all at once, so the sugar sprinkling will have to be for reheating them or something.
Do I have to cook them all at once? I was under the impression I did, but maybe I can save some for later?
No, you don't have to cook them all at once; you can cover some, refrigerate them for a day or two, and then bake them. But even if you did, you can sprinkle some with sugar, and not others, and the baked ones will also keep for a few days. You can put them in a toaster oven or a dry skillet for a few minutes to crisp them up again.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Master Chef

I'm pretty sure you do have to cook them when you open them.

We have the same predicament here. I generally just wrap them in a paper towel and warm them in the nuke, and we have them with another meal. I love them with butter and honey or apple butter.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Master Chef

You might want to check out Pillsbury frozen biscuits. They come in a bag and you can take out however many you want to bake and put the rest of the bag back into the freezer. We've had them at our house when the son was living here because he liked to have them for a snack. They were pretty good. They are always good warmed up with a touch of butter and honey just for a snack! Also, you don't have to stick to breakfast sandwiches. Fill them with whatever you like in a sandwich. Chicken salad, tuna salad, turkey, ham, whatever.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

The frozen ones ARE good, Jabbur.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

They make frozen ones?
Geesh, what have I been screwing around with these for then

Of course, then I run into the use them up or get freezer burn problem
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Sous Chef

If you had some raw dough left over, ball it together, then roll it out flat. Place some shredded cheese/minced olives/diced ham/seasonings/whatever floats your boat on one side. Then fold over like a calzone and press the edges together with a fork. Bake in a 350 oven until the biscuit is golden brown.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Master Chef

Caveat: I have not done this myself.

I know it says not to freeze on the biscuit container, but that's because the tube will rupture says my SIL.

She routinely bakes half and freezes half of the tube of biscuits.