Leftover Ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
Ok creative minds !

I am going to have a lot of baked ham leftover from dinner today.

Looking for some yummy and creative ideas to make from it.

And ideas?

Ham Salad
Deviled Ham
Split Pea Soup
Ham & Swiss on Crackers
Ham, Lettuce & Tomato Toasted Sandwich
Ham & American Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Ham & Cheese Omelet
Ham & Cheese Quiche
Ham & Beans
Ham & Bean Soup
Fried Ham & Eggs
Ham & Cheese Biscuits

Well, let me see if this helps you. There is always a ham & beans, ham and broccoli casserole, a ham-egg breakfast bake, or ham macaroni and cheese, a spicy jambalaya and think of all the soups -- split pea or a creamy leek potatoe with ham.

Gosh, I think we just used up all your left over ham!

Jamon croquetas, if you are looking for something out of the ordinary. Spanish and Cuban style are both good,IMO. Partner them with tostones con mojo and blackbeans and rice.

Craig

This reminds me of Bubba from "Forrest Gump" listing the ways shrimp can be prepared.
"Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."
Source:
imdb.com

I reckon ham is durn near as versatile. :LOL:

I believe it was MFK Fisher who said the definition of eternity is two people with a ham.
I have washed the old meat grinder and am getting ready for some ham salad with sweet pickles.
I also could use a pan of Msmofet's biscuits to hold some ham chips!

...I reckon ham is durn near as versatile. :LOL:

I think I started a thread here way back about how versatile ham is. I think it's the most versatile meat there is.

Did anyone say antipasto yet?

:ohmy:

Oh no..... I don't have enough leftover ham for all of these great ideas.

Guess I better go get another ham! :D

Thank you all soooooooooo much for your input.

Some awesome ideas here and you can bet I will be utilizing them !

Thanks to everyone !!

:LOL: good one Bea:
the definition of eternity is two people with a ham.
"Green Eggs and Ham" (the kids loved it)
I mentioned on another thread somewhere what I used to do with leftover Easter eggs, and ham. Put a layer of cooked and squeezed dry spinach on the buttered bottom of a 9X13 pan. Quarter, or slice all the leftover eggs, lay on top of the spinach. Sprinkle the eggs with diced leftover ham, and top the whole thing with a nice rich cheese sauce. Delish for brunch or dinner.;)

How about special sandwiches?

Croque Monsieur

Croque Madame

or my all-time favorite, the Monte Cristo!

Monte Cristo (serving size 1/2 sandwich)
Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 8 slices Texas Toast bread
  • 1 lb Sliced ham
  • 1 lb Sliced turkey
  • ½ lb Sliced Swiss cheese
  • box of toothpicks
Method:

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Beat eggs with milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth.
Make 4 sandwiches with Texas Toast bread, ham, turkey and Swiss cheese and cut in half diagonally, corner to corner. Secure each sandwich half with toothpicks. Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat. Deep fry for 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Remove toothpicks, plate, and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with a huge dollop of strawberry preserves. Add a sliced strawberry salad with crème fraiche, if desired

:LOL: good one Bea:
"Green Eggs and Ham" (the kids loved it)
I mentioned on another thread somewhere what I used to do with leftover Easter eggs, and ham. Put a layer of cooked and squeezed dry spinach on the buttered bottom of a 9X13 pan. Quarter, or slice all the leftover eggs, lay on top of the spinach. Sprinkle the eggs with diced leftover ham, and top the whole thing with a nice rich cheese sauce. Delish for brunch or dinner.;)

You come up with some great sounding dishes.

One of my faves is to cube any leftover ham and then use that packaged cream white sauce, add some cooked green peas, a dash of Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Served on toast or with a side of mashed potatoes. I suppose it's the same thing as creamed chipped ham on toast, but with the peas added.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom