Leftover pan-grilled salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have 1-1/3 pan-grilled salmon fillets left from last night, and DH suggested we crumble them up and add a can of albacore tuna for a noodle casserole.

Do you think salmon and tuna will taste good together?

Make a smaller casserole and just use the salmon or make a pasta dish with salmon and a veggie tossed in. Dress it with olive oil and garlic.

I'm with Andy, I don't think I'd combine them. Or make a bechamel with some onions in it, add the chunked salmon, peas. Serve on toast. Or mix it with onions, potatoes and make salmon cakes,

I also agree with Andy and Loprraine. You could even use the salmon after chunking it a bit, adding a dusting of dill weed, and maybe a drizzle of lemon juice, all placed on top of pumpernicle points and cover with a suitable cheese. Place under the broiler until hot and the cheese is melted.

There are a thousand ideas you could use the salmon in. And the salmon is just to good to be mixed with the canned tuna, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It is really really good sprinkled with some lemon pepper and added to
Rice a Roni cheesy rice, or some other cheesy rice!

I had these salmon wraps that were really tasty. Kinda of a pain to make but very creative. Mix the cooked salmon (flaked/shredded) with 1 head of chopped raddicho, bag of baby spinach, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Get some rice paper and soak in warm water to make the rice paper soft. On the rice paper, put a tsp of hosin sauce and a dab or two of chili paste. Then add 2 to 3 T of the salmon/raddichio/spinach mixture. Roll up and enjoy!

They are really yummy! I need to double check the recipe, just digging this out of my head. But I can give you specifics if you like.

That's what I thought, too. But I needed your opinions in print, to make DH believe me. I have some frozen peas and may add a can add a can of mushrooms and a small jar of pimentos as well.
I love the idea of dressing it with a vinaigrette (olive oil, garlic, herbs +lemon juice) instead of a heavier sauce.

I also love the Rice-a-Roni idea, GF, and will be sure to try that sometime.

Right now, though, my husband is set on noodles, and since he's cooking, I guess we'll have noodles.

Well heck, if he wants noodles, I'd throw throw the salmon, peas, onions, veggies, noodles et al in the bechamel, top with buttered breadcrumbs and cheese. I think I need some leftover slamon! :)

Make a quiche with either broccoli or asparagus with the salmon.

Or use in a vol au vent case in a white sauce with some capers and thinly sliced red onion. Just don't make the white sauce to thick or it would be a bit gluggy. I would add asparagus to this as well.

Crumble it through a frittata.

Spread it through Potato au Gratin for something different.

My other half, PeppA, loves it when I make Salmon Patties using leftover cooked salmon. Here's my basic recipe:

1 ½# cooked salmon
-or- canned salmon
1 T Mayo
1 T Dijon mustard
1 Egg
¼ t Salt
¼ t pepper
¾ t Old Bay seasoning
2 T Chopped green onions
3 T Chopped red onions
Several leaves of fresh basil, chiffonade
Bread crumbs for dredging
2 T vegetable oil

Mix together the mayo, mustard, egg, seasonings, both onions, and the basil. Add the salmon and mix. Do this gently so you don’t break the salmon up to finely, as you want some nice chunks. Form into large patties for sandwiches, or smaller patties for entrées. Dredge the patties in the breads crumbs. Cook the patties in a skillet, in the oil, over medium to mid-high heat until well-browned.

Mixing salmon and tuna would be a mistake in my opinion. I would either put salmon pieces into a mixed green salad or my favorite for leftover salmon is to heat it and have it for breakfast with an "over medium" fried egg and a slice of wheat toast. I LOVE salmon for breakfast.

I often make a sauce for salmon with mayo, tarragon, and white wine vinegar (and a couple of other things). Then I use the leftover sauce to make salmon salad with the leftover salmon.

Salmon and tomatoes are my answer. Make a tomato based soup with a can of purreed tomatoes, some white wine added add alittle salt and sugar and fresh ground white pepper. Simmer 10 minutes, then add some heavy cream. Just heat, stir and pour into bowls with a nice chuck of salmon placed in center of bowl, dollop of sour cream, sprig of chives on top. Serve with a spinach salad and crusty bread. YUM, YUM!!!

quicksilver

Now THAT sounds great. Gotta try that one myself. Thanks.

You all have come up with the greatest ideas! Thank you very much. We eat salmon frequently, and DH always cooks an extra fillet. Now I have several alternatives for the leftovers! I'm fortunate in the fact that my husband is willing to try new dishes, and does so with an open mind.

I ended up combining the flaked salmon (there was quite a lot, really) with cooked small pasta shells, pimentos, frozen peas, can of shroom soup and a little milk...seasoned with S&P and nuked, covered, until hot...topped with slices of Velveeta cheese and nuked, uncovered, until cheese was melted and bubbling.
We really liked it.

Dip

Makes a great dip.
Flaked salmon, chilled
Cream cheese
lemon juice
dill weed
S&P

About 50/50 salmon and cream cheese. Lemon juice, oh start with a tablespoon, same with the dill. Mix it up in a food processor, or the old KA

Back
Top Bottom