Looking for a quick broccoli cheese sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LPBeier - the "green can" is a reference to Kraft shelf-stable pre-grated parmesan cheese. While some liken it to sawdust, others (like me) do keep some around for a sprinkle on salads &/or pizza occasionally.

I make a white sauce (bechamel) and melt grated cheese into it once it is thickened. You can use whatever cheese you wish.

That's something I did pick up on that Emeril show yesterday. Before that I had no idea what some of you were eating who used the word bechamel :LOL: I prefer "white sauce" ;)

That's something I did pick up on that Emeril show yesterday. Before that I had no idea what some of you were eating who used the word bechamel :LOL: I prefer "white sauce" ;)

white sauce works;)

this is the usual way I make cheese sauce (mornay sauce), starting with a roux

LPBeier - the "green can" is a reference to Kraft shelf-stable pre-grated parmesan cheese. While some liken it to sawdust, others (like me) do keep some around for a sprinkle on salads &/or pizza occasionally.

Thanks, Breezy! We have THAT here in Canada, but I never buy it. I had heard of something called spray cheese or something like that and I thought that is what was meant. Who would think that we speak the same language, share so many things but our two countries are so different when it comes to cheese! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh yeah, we call the "green can" freeze dried cheese-like product! :angel:

I'm glad someone clarified the "green can" thing too. I was trying to figure that one out. I'm kinda giggling here that we can be such food snobs sometimes. I prefer the real stuff myself, but gotta tell you when its -30 bazillion out there and the wind is a howling, I'm good with "green can" in a big way.

Hey pacanis, I'm going to stir the pot some more...got any Cheez Whiz to melt and pour over your broccoli? *running and hiding now*

Heh heh heh...come on whats the worst that could happen? A little firestorm? Pages of debate? Oh crap...I should just shut the heck up! :LOL:

Hey - let me stir that pot some more - lol!!

I always have to laugh when someone asks a question like this & some folks jump up & down shouting "bechamel". Yes, it IS a bechamel sauce if you want to sound exotic, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just a BASIC WHITE SAUCE. Something that's been around a long LONG time before folks started tossing out the word "bechamel" in recipes. Crank out your basic 30+ year old Betty Crocker spiral bound cookbook for terrific breakdowns on how to make BASIC WHITE SAUCE "thin", "medium", or "thick", & how best to use those different thicknesses in cooking.

"Mornay" - aka "cheese sauce" - is another one that makes me laugh. But then again, how many restaurants would sell more entrees if they were dressed with just "cheese sauce" versus "Mornay Sauce" - LOL!!!!!

Yeah, they should give sauces more common names, like "Oscar" (also one of my favorites).

Cheese Whiz? Is that the stuff in the can that squirts out like whipped cream, or the one that looks like a sausage roll and squeezes out the middle?

Hey Breezy, before I was "brainwashed" at culinary school, I called it white sauce too. And that's how I think of it, but for some reason that word pops out of my mouth! :chef::LOL::LOL:

As for mornay, if you want to get technical, which my french instructor always did, it is ONLY Mornay if you use a standard bechamel and add only gruyere to it. Buy ya, when all is said and done it is ALL just cheese sauce no matter the base sauce or type of cheese.

By the way I am getting defensive, just making fun of myself and my own schooling! :)

Yeah, they should give sauces more common names, like "Oscar" (also one of my favorites).

Cheese Whiz? Is that the stuff in the can that squirts out like whipped cream, or the one that looks like a sausage roll and squeezes out the middle?

It is the stuff in the jar that looks looks like melted Velveeta and tastes nothing like cheese at all! Do you know my SIL actually has a recipe to make the stuff out of real cheddar?

Ahhhh, Cheese Whiz..... I know what you mean. The ex used to buy that and we would use it like dip with nachos. There was a Mexican variety. It has its place.

When I left my ex (not to be confused with my current DH), I stayed at a transition home for a month. We got to put stuff on the grocery list, but since it was run on donations they bargain shopped a lot, which is understandable. Well, one of the younger women put down Cheese Whiz and they bought a store brand. The next week she put it down again (and had never touched the jar in the fridge) and when the purchaser said there was an unopened jar in the fridge, the resident said "I don't eat that fake ****. I want REAL Cheese Whiz!!!" I still chuckle at that one. A bit of an oxymoron don't you think?

In Wisconsin we make hats out of cheese... :LOL:

p1_cheesehead.jpg

I would make a beshmel sauce,tsp of butter-tbs of flour cook over medium heat to make a rou,add 1/4 cup of milk and about the same amount in cheese,cook til it thickens and pour it on the broc.Oh and dont forget to salt and pepper.the broc i purchase dosent come pre-seasoned,Ha ha

Back
Top Bottom