Looking for a quick broccoli cheese sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll list the ingredients I have on hand I think could be used in some form or another. I have whole milk, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano, gorgonzola, yellow american sliced cheese and of course, the green can ;)

I'm looking for some kind of cheese sauce I can make fairly easily (quickly) and pour over some brocolli that I have cut up and waiting to steam. I'm looking for something rich, thick and rib sticking. Or as rib sticking as you can get considering it's brocolli :LOL:

Sorry, Pacanis, it's not that we don't want to help.....I was folding laundry, baking cookies, cleaning the kitchen and moving furniture. I am sorry that I couldn't juggle culinary consulting at the same time. :LOL:

Um uh, the blue can? Is this another quirky American cheese thing....?

Make a roux of equal parts butter and flour and cook just until melted and combined. Add scalded milk (I infuse mine with peppercorns, bay leaves, a pinch of nutmeg, thyme and some salt and then strain this out as I add my milk to the roux), stirring constantly. Cook until thick and bubbly. You have a basic bechmel and can add whichever of your cheeses you want.

Sorry it was late and you had to eat naked broccoli!

Thanks.
So it's basically milk and cheese, maybe with a roux to thicken and seasonings. I can handle that. Something in the back of my mind had me thinking I needed velveeta or some kind of canned cheese sauce.

Thanks.
So it's basically milk and cheese, maybe with a roux to thicken and seasonings. I can handle that. Something in the back of my mind had me thinking I needed velveeta or some kind of canned cheese sauce.

Jeeks is right, for the quickest method...I use an aged cheddar and milk with a bit of pepper..couldn't be simpler....no green can or velvetta needed:-p

I guess my other question was, do I need to do this in a double boiler?

I do it in the microwave. I use a glass bowl and stir a small amount of milk into the grated cheese. You need to fuss a bit with the cheese/milk ratio, it does not take much milk. Medium heat.

Yeah, I should really work more on making sauces, but then I'll need to look for a short sauce spoon like Jeeks and IC :LOL:
There was an Emeril on yesterday on sauces, but I didn't pay much attention to it other than seeing him grill up some lobster tails. Come to think of it, it's probably what put the thought in my head of making a cheese sauce for my broc....

Yeah, I should really work more on making sauces, but then I'll need to look for a short sauce spoon like Jeeks and IC :LOL:

Actually, that's a basting spoon.

Look for a book called "Sauces" from Williams Sonoma. You can find it cheaper on Amazon. I constantly refer to that book. It's easy to read with lots of pictures. lol

I found this recipe that I had. Sorry did not have it to you earlier.

Cheddar Cheese Sauce
6 Tbsp Butter or Margarine, melted
6 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
3 Cups Milk
½ Tsp Salt
¼ Tsp Ground Red Pepper
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 Lg Eggs

Melt Butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; whisk in Flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in Milk, Salt, and Red Pepper.

Bring Mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in Cheddar Cheese until melted and blended.

Beat Eggs with a fork until thick and pale. Gradually stir about ¼ of hot Milk mixture into Eggs to temp them; add Egg Mixture to remaining Milk Mixture, stirring constantly.

Thanks padams!
That will be great for the ratio of ingredients.

Sure..... but can you use it to baste a pork loin from the inside out? :angel:

No, but I can pat my head and rub my belly at the same time.
img_749650_0_4f8be0ccf64a86d2939761da0d4e2ff6.gif

Don't be afraid to mix in other cheeses like real parmesan, asiago, fontina...any good melting cheese.

Actually, that's a basting spoon.

Look for a book called "Sauces" from Williams Sonoma. You can find it cheaper on Amazon. I constantly refer to that book. It's easy to read with lots of pictures. lol

Jeekins, I have that book! Got it for Christmas the year I went to school! It is great. Downside is that it is in storage with my other 250 plus cookbooks I never need until they aren't here!:mad:

There was no blue can, Laurie.
I said green can, pretty much for the controversy it stirs in some.

How could anyone not think mentioning a Green Can would not stir up something. There is a 3 or 4 page discussion yesterday about what "A Dot of Butter" is. :LOL:

Very basic; very easy:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk or 1/2 & 1/2, or heavy cream thinned 1/2 & 1/2 with water or broth
2 cups grated cheese of choice

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour & "cook" for 1-2 minutes without allowing to burn. Add in milk & whisk constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Add in cheese & continue whisking until melted.

That's it. Takes just a few minutes & no double-boiler needed or any other special equipment. If you don't own a whisk, just use a fork. All this is is a classic basic "thick white sauce" with cheese added. Thickness is controlled, obviously, by the ratio of roux to milk. If you like thinner, do one tablespoon butter/flour to one cup of milk. Or simply double up the milk. Very versatile, & should be in everyone's cooking repertoire.

Back
Top Bottom