"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, so what your are really looking for is a pasta sauce that will work with fish or chicken, right? With fish, I don't do heavy sauces, like I would with chicken. Two entirely different things, to me.

Béchamel, or roux, can be made in advance, and made into a number of sauces later. I have never frozen it, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

I think it is a matter of finding that balance between made in advance and made at the moment that you should look for. If you knock out the time-consuming and difficult stuff in advance, and add the easy stuff when you go to cook a meal, you will get the best of fast and fresh.

Roux is time consuming. If you can make it some day when you don't have much to do, and keep it for finishing dishes later, that seems like a great solution.

Experiment, and share with us what you learn. That's what this forum is all about, IMO.

CD
Blonde or white roux for a bechamel or veloute sauce takes all of two minutes!

Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, so what your are really looking for is a pasta sauce that will work with fish or chicken, right? With fish, I don't do heavy sauces, like I would with chicken. Two entirely different things, to me.

Béchamel, or roux, can be made in advance, and made into a number of sauces later. I have never frozen it, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

I think it is a matter of finding that balance between made in advance and made at the moment that you should look for. If you knock out the time-consuming and difficult stuff in advance, and add the easy stuff when you go to cook a meal, you will get the best of fast and fresh.

Roux is time consuming. If you can make it some day when you don't have much to do, and keep it for finishing dishes later, that seems like a great solution.

Experiment, and share with us what you learn. That's what this forum is all about, IMO.

CD
I did make about 2 1/2 cups of veloute, and used about half of it to make dinner, which came out perfectly! I made a lovely lemon and basil sauce that went really well with the chicken Mark wanted, and it was very good with the salmon I had, both served on spaghetti. The sauce was just thick enough to coat the pasta perfectly, and didn’t cover up the flavor of the chicken or the fish. Maybe I oughtta sell my recipe to the airlines, lol!

Tags
chicken, cream, fish, sauce