Mexican Vanilla Extract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
My mom just got back from a cruise and brought me a massive bottle of real mexican vanilla extract. It smells DIVINE.

I bought a tiny bottle of grocery store extract and I've had it for like 3 years and it still has 1/4 left in it..

Obviously I'm not much of a baker, I try to stay away from baking sweet things etc.. What else can I do with all this tasty deliciousness????

Add to plain yogurt or use in french toast are two the come to mind.

Mexican vanilla is not the same product as we think of when we use McCormick Vanilla Extract.

Mexican Vanilla is a massive amount of alcohol that has had a few vanilla beans soaked in it. It is very weak by comparison. I had some for a long time until I realized it was unusuable in the kitchen, but made a very nice potpourri scent.

Mexican vanilla is not the same product as we think of when we use McCormick Vanilla Extract.

Mexican Vanilla is a massive amount of alcohol that has had a few vanilla beans soaked in it. It is very weak by comparison. I had some for a long time until I realized it was unusuable in the kitchen, but made a very nice potpourri scent.

Some of it is, but certainly not all of it.

If you pay $3 for a 750ml bottle of "vanilla" at a tourist trap it is pretty much guaranteed to be made out of tonka beans or worse. But there is also authentic Mexican vanilla extract out there; Amazon sells several varieties as does King Arthur's and most other on-line food specialty shops.

Well t his is disappointing :( lol

It says there are vanilla beans inside.

Whats a tonka bean?

It says .. "This product does not contain cumarin".. whatever that is??

Last edited:
Google the name of the bottling or manufacturing company to see what you can come up with. It might be good stuff, it might not. =P

A tonka bean is something that smells like vanilla but isn't and is used to make the cheap "vanilla".

Last edited:
Looks like you have the real deal. It should last for years if stored in a cool, dark place.

Excellent!!
Now that I know I have something good, what can I make with it? I read that I can even put it in drinks for a hint of vanilla. I guess I'll have to start making more desserts.. but we are more "snacky" people than desserts.

I found a web site that has all kinds of recipes. Some sweet, and some more of the "snacky" kind. It is www.vanilla.com. I love vanilla, and will add it to lots of different drinks-coffee, tea, egg nog, cocoa... There is even a recipe on that site for salsa that sounds wonderful.
:)
Enjoy.

I have that same exact brand that I bought in Costa Maya Mexico and it is wonderful. I shopped around and there is a lot of crappy vanilla out there and this brand was recommended over and over.

I use it all the time and it is great. The aroma is very much like the Mexican vanilla extract that they sell at the local Penzy's store, so it seems to be the real deal.

This is by far the best vanilla that I have used, and I usually make my own! If I make my own again, I will definitely buy Mexican pods, for sweets, I prefer its flavor over the Tahitian or Madagascar varieties (both are great though).

Last edited:
I have that same exact brand that I bought in Costa Maya Mexico and it is wonderful. I shopped around and there is a lot of crappy vanilla out there and this brand was recommended over and over.

I use it all the time and it is great. The aroma is very much like the Mexican vanilla extract that they sell at the local Penzy's store, so it seems to be the real deal.

This is by far the best vanilla that I have used, and I usually make my own! If I make my own again, I will definitely buy Mexican pods, for sweets, I prefer its flavor over the Tahitian or Madagascar varieties (both are great though).

I've always used Madagascar, but am considering trying the Mexican (this brand). From the descriptions I've read, the Mexican is supposed to have more of a spicy taste, and is overall stronger tasting than the Madagascar - Would you say this is accurate?

Also, most of the desserts I make are chocolate-based - very deep chocolatey. Would the Mexican vanilla overpower the chocolate stuff, ie, lessen the chocolate taste or would it just round it out, as does the Madagascar? What do you think?

I've always used Madagascar, but am considering trying the Mexican (this brand). From the descriptions I've read, the Mexican is supposed to have more of a spicy taste, and is overall stronger tasting than the Madagascar - Would you say this is accurate?

Also, most of the desserts I make are chocolate-based - very deep chocolatey. Would the Mexican vanilla overpower the chocolate stuff, ie, lessen the chocolate taste or would it just round it out, as does the Madagascar? What do you think?

This stuff does seem to be more robust than most, but it works well in everything I have that I have tried it in from buttercream to brownies.

For me the flavor and scent seems a bit more caramely (is that a word?) It is readily identifiable as vanilla, but has a scent and flavor all its own. I've never detected a spicy note.

It won't overpower chocolate at all, like other vanillas, it compliments it quite nicely.

This stuff does seem to be more robust than most, but it works well in everything I have that I have tried it in from buttercream to brownies.

For me the flavor and scent seems a bit more caramely (is that a word?) It is readily identifiable as vanilla, but has a scent and flavor all its own. I've never detected a spicy note.

It won't overpower chocolate at all, like other vanillas, it compliments it quite nicely.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help! I think I'll go for it.

I would definitely call it a more "spicy" taste - more bite than the usual vanilla thats for sure. I put it in some coffee this morning. Yum.

I bought some REALLY nice cocoa - expensive - and might try making brownies tomorrow!!! I think the mexican vanilla would go SO well with nice chocolate.

I would definitely call it a more "spicy" taste - more bite than the usual vanilla thats for sure. I put it in some coffee this morning. Yum.

I bought some REALLY nice cocoa - expensive - and might try making brownies tomorrow!!! I think the mexican vanilla would go SO well with nice chocolate.

Let us know how they turn out! By the way, which cocoa powder did you buy?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom