Must Have Ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
This seemed like the logical place to post this thread, please move it if I’m mistaken!

What is your short list of must-have ingredients? And which of them are the most expensive? Let’s stipulate the staples: eggs, bread, milk and the like, and list ingredients that you may find necessary, but others may not.

For me:
Honey $$$
Yogurt $$
Good canned salmon $$$ (nearly as expensive as salmon fillets!)
Cheese $$ (even at the dollar store, block cheese is two bucks or more!)
Extracts $$$ (vanilla, almond)

If I thought about it, or added to the list while I was cooking, the list would be a lot longer! And I’m sure when I see your lists, things will come to me too.

Cheese, the type I prefer to eat cost 10- 15 dollar per kilo
Eggs, I prefer free ranges eggs so that is 4.5 dollar per kilo
Flour, 2 dollar per kilo
Strong flour : 3 dollar per kilo.
Onion : 1.4 dollar per kilo.
Potatoes: 1.4 dollar per kilo
Milk: 2 dollar per 1½ liter
Butter: 9 dollar per kilo.
Rapeseed oil : 3 dollar per liter.
Yeast: 80 cent per double package.
This is what I need to cook so I can keep my tummy filled, as long I have this I have food. Everything is just extra. Well I need salt and spices too.

Cashews $$$$
Tomato Products $
Coconut Milk $$
Chili/ Taco seasoning $
Tofu $$
Vital Wheat Gluten $$$
Frozen Spinach $
Pasta $
Tortilla $
Veg Chopped Meat Product $$$
Liquid smoke $$

Cashews - Bing a vegetarian ( and my wife now being vegan), i need raw cashews to help me achieve a ' cream sauce' - like texture. The cashews, after being soaked then blended with some kind of milk ( soy, almond, coconut) really does a pretty good job at this. They are also often in Indian recipes.

Tomato products - Im sure a lot of people would have this on their list. Things like canned tomatoes, paste I use frequently ( especially after I run out of my fresh supply from the garden. A good percentage of my meals are Italian or red sauced based, so I always keep some in stock ( Italian, Mexican, Indian, Moroccan, soups..)

Coconut Milk - Often used in Asian, Indian and vegetarian dishes, this item has become more prevalent in my must have ingredient list. ( Also adds a creaminess to sauces, primarily Indian and certain asian dishes).

Chili/ Taco Seasoning - Although I have a vast array of herbs and spices, and could surely create my own, I do have several long days where I get home late. These packets allow for a quick Mexican - like meal, whether it be for Tacos, chili, burritos.. I can usually whip up something in 15 minutes to 1/2 hour .

Tofu - Basically for obvious reasons being vegetarian. Stir fries, soups, pressed- seasoned and placed on a panini press for sandwiches, crumbled and seasoned ( with dill, turmeric) the scrambled with onions tomatoes and spinach for a ' mock scrambled eggs', blended to thicken sauces and many other uses

Vital wheat gluten - High gluten flour used to make imitation meat/ protein for vegans. If done right tastes pretty good with a decent consistency. If done wrong, well, not so great :)

Frozen spinach - Always good to have on hand for multiple dishes. Although I often used fresh from the garden, due to the physical properties of spinach cooking down to nothing, I usually have to supplement to get the amount of post cooked spinach I need for a dish. Spinach pie, Indian Palaak dishes, Spinach - malanga soup, spinach - feta pasta salad

Pasta - The obvious. Used to be a staple item for me, but since my sugar levels were high and my waste line expanding, I have limited the use of pasta, but I still have them stocked for when I go on a pasta binge ( which is in the near future, as the tomatoes start to ripen in the garden and the scent of basil flows from the garden into my kitchen ( and the fact that I just harvested my garlic)

Tortillas ( Corn/ Flour) - Once again for the quick go to meal, burritos, soft tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, mu shu ( i get special ones from the asian store for this), wraps

Veg Chopped Meat products - A staple for many things I cook, always good to have in the house. chili, sloppy joe, taco, burrito, ' meat sauces, lasagna..

Liquid Smoke - Vegetarian things dont girl the same way real meat products do ( due to the abscess of fats that drip when grilled that would enhance the flames), so Ill often marinade or baste with some liquid smoke ( not a lot) but some to help it achieve the ' outside , cooked on a bbq flavor.

These are the ones that come to mind at 4am :) Im sure there are others. Being vegetarian/ vegan (wife), I need certain things on hand that likely differ from everyone else. They used to be specialty items, but now, the way I have to cook, they are used quite frequently and always need to be fully stocked

Things I always have no matter what ( what I consider the extreme basics) would be potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, lettuce, lemons, Olive oils, spices, S&P, flour, sugar, corn starch, dried mushrooms, various dried beans and grains, various canned beans, canned corn, vegetable stock, ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo, hot sauces, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, black bean paste, sesame oil, vinegars, It would be a rare day for me not to have any of the above on hand at any given time. ( Im sure I missed a bunc)

Olive oil- EVOO and ordinary
butter
lard
flour, cornflour
selection of ingredients such as couscous, farro, bulghur, rice - Italian and basmati
Pasta, sheet, long pasta, short pasta
canned toms, plum, passata (sieved)
dried herbs, spices
baking ingredients,
tuna, canned
frozen meat - ground beef and pork, sausages, cubed meats
frozen fish
frozen veggies, mixed and individual types
fresh fruit, lemons (and squeezy lemon juice)
hot sauces, soy sauce, teriyaki, & other
Red vinegar, white wine vinegar, both types aged and young as well
sugar, cane sugar.
garlic, fresh and powdered
mustard, (French, American, German)
olives, green, black and Taggiasca olives (small and aromatic, from the Italian Riviera), Pesto - classic and other - wine, red and white, brandy, dried pulses of all types -list too long for the purposes of this thread).
This is more or less the kind and style of my store cupboard.

I have a cold room in the basement of out house, which works very well, and where I can store stuff safely. That's next to our wine cellar, which is a purpose built one, and maintains a constant temperature, ideal for the wine and other items that benefit keeping stuff and a constant low temperature. It's also a little museum because it's set up as a small, family cellar, and it dates back decades, when growers would make their own wine for market. We have the press, the de-stalker and crusher, the original barrels for ageing, and a bottling bench. We've never cleared it because it's a little bit of history, and the temperature is ideal for storing stuff. Guess we're lucky.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Is this a "what you always have on hand" query or what you have to have for your planned menu? Being the adventurous eaters that we are, our "must have" ingredients would be for our weekly planned menu. We always have main pantry/refrigerated/freezer staples.

Canned tomatoes
Chipotles in Adobo
Dried chilis
Agave
Honey
Sushi, jasmine, basmati, arborio, black (forbidden), wild and good old Uncle Ben's rice
Wines for cooking
Dried mushrooms
Several flours we keep in the freezer as well as the King Arthur AP in the pantry
Bob's Redmill grits
Pancetta
Guanciale
Homemade sausages
Tasso
Chicken thighs and breasts
Conch
Squid
Shrimp
Pork butt
Herbs and spices (fresh and dried)
Hot sauces
Boxed chicken and beef stock
Empire soup bases
Gochujang
Gochugaru
Kimchi base
Several mustards
Several Asian bottled and jarred ingredients
Homemade Worcestershire sauce
Thai curry paste
Dry pasta

Those are probably 3/4 of what we always have on hand.

Last edited:
Potatoes
(I'm sure there are many others but that's my main staple, especially since I'm not a huge fan of rice)

Side note...first post! Hello fellow food lovers [emoji173]

Welcome to the forum, miasong!

I have way too many must have ingredients! Just all those chile peppers I have number a few dozen, but I could whittle it down to maybe 20, if I tried.

Garlic for sure.
What would be on my list would depend on my financial status. When seriously broke:

• tamari
  • brown rice
  • sesame seeds
  • carrots
  • onions
  • cabbage
  • eggs
  • some sort of cooking oil or bacon fat
  • salt and pepper
Anything else would depend on what was cheap at the moment.

Lol, Addie.

I had a hard time trying to understand what it meant to have "must have" ingredient when you already have what you must have, or the basics.

I then figured this is a thread about epi-must haves, or epi-basic staples or ingredients.

So, I guess the answer is as simple as the subset of ingredients that need to be bought for an intended dish.

My answer then is more pragmatic: what do you want to eat?

Last edited:
I must always have cranberry juice on hand, women will understand that. I must always have to have fresh ginger. Not for an intended recipe, but because I never know when I will want a cup of tea with sliced ginger in it. It is very good for indigestion. Must always have chocolate, unsweetened, semi-sweet, bittersweet, dark, cocoa powder.

I guess the rest of the pantry is filled with the usual kind of stuff. lol

Last edited:
I have been pondering a response to this thread for a few days, and can not come up with a list. I keep a well stocked pantry of non perishables, so I can whip something up on a whim.

If we are talking "armageddon" kind of "must haves," I could narrow it down to dried or cured meat, potatoes and whiskey. Lots of whiskey.

I wish I could walk two blocks to a grocery store. I'd buy my fresh foods daily.

CD

I have been pondering a response to this thread for a few days, and can not come up with a list. I keep a well stocked pantry of non perishables, so I can whip something up on a whim.

If we are talking "armageddon" kind of "must haves," I could narrow it down to dried or cured meat, potatoes and whiskey. Lots of whiskey.

I wish I could walk two blocks to a grocery store. I'd buy my fresh foods daily.

CD

Yes to both in bold..
Ross

Yogurt, fruit and protein powder for my breakfast, and salad greens, black olives, garbanzos and some kind of sliced peppers (pepperoncini is my favorite, but I will accept jalopy peppers or banana peppers) for my lunch. I also require sliced salumis, assorted cheeses, crusty bread or crackers and fresh fruit for my 3am charcuterie plate. Oh, and half & half and amber raw agave for my coffee.

Last edited:
I was raised in a Mom & Pop grocery store and I learned to cook with everything I ever needed at hand, just out the back door of the house. Imagine a fully stocked pantry, fresh produce and meat and never needing a shopping list! It was bliss till I entered the real cooking world on my own.

Fast forward many years till I married Souschef 12 yrs ago. He loves to shop for food. He keeps the outdoor pantry and freezer stocked with everything I could want at my fingertips. Produce and dairy is 1 mile away. All this actually makes me feel like a kid again. YES, I know I'm blessed.

Lol, Addie.

I had a hard time trying to understand what it meant to have "must have" ingredient when you already have what you must have, or the basics.

I then figured this is a thread about epi-must haves, or epi-basic staples or ingredients.

So, I guess the answer is as simple as the subset of ingredients that need to be bought for an intended dish.

My answer then is more pragmatic: what do you want to eat?
Well put, Bucky.

I was sort of, but but not entirely, joking about the chile peppers before. But I have a lot of things like this - things I have tried countless varieties of (chiles; all those Indian legumes; grains, to name a few) and still have some of the oddball varieties around. Things that I don't use frequently I usually vacuum seal, either in jars or bags, and put an oxygen adsorption pad in, to save them for a long time - obviously, not "must have" items! And some things, like all that chocolate I have, I don't need, but it's nice to have the variety called for, when making different recipes. Same with the countless spices I have. Very rarely do I run into something in a recipe that I don't have somewhere! I have a box in the freezer that I keep those, and all extra ground spices in, all foodsavered, so they keep just about forever. Many not used often, but again, nice to have, when making unusual recipes (which I often do!).
Something you won't see too often in my refrigerator is milk, unless I'm making some yogurt, buttermilk, or other recipe calling for milk. It's probably more than half full of ingredients in jars and bottles - mostly Asian, but also things like various types of olives, and other pickled ingredients. Many of these are must haves, for sure - fish sauce, hoisin sauce, Szechwan chili paste, some olives, escabeche, salted capers, and many others, that I make myself. Salsa negra, chiles in fish sauce, and nam prik pao, plus three types of Thai curry paste, that is always in the freezer. If any of these get down to one batch, time to make more...immediately! The same with some of those Indian masalas - while I have made some that I didn't like very much, I just tossed them, but some are in that "must have category", and if I get down to near the bottom, I have to make more!

Then there are those fresh herbs - while I could be without them, I can't imagine that! Back when I got hooked on Thai food, in the beginning I would grind up the Thai basil (and Italian, as well) from the summer crop, and freeze it in popsicle molds, for winter use. Worked ok, but still not the same, and that's when I started growing these in hydroponics, for the off season. So that was definitely "must have" for me! Also have chives, dill, epazote, and greens in there - not "must have", but nothing like being able to harvest things like this, when you want them in the winter. And then there are the ones in pots - the kaffir lime and the curry tree I started back when they were pretty much unavailable, even in the Asian markets (kaffir lime import was outlawed, way back, due to possible disease being brought into our citrus crops), so I had to grow it! Definitely "must have", in my kitchen. I have to bring them in during the fall, and put them pack out, come spring time.

I just thought of another "must have" - tea! I've been sitting here drinking my iced tea, and it's the one thing I use EVERY DAY, like some with their coffee. Yet it took me this long to think about it.

Some must haves in general:

Onions
Garlic
Potatoes
Eggs
Parm Reg
Pecorino Romano
Salt & Pepper
Bouillon/Base in several flavors

There are others but depends what will be cooking.

Tea: black and herbal

Almond or cashew milk, unsweetened, unflavored

Top quality soups and broths, Better than Boullion - low-sodium
Home made and store-bought
Things to spruce up soups like herbs, worchestershire sauce, sausage, sour cream, nuts, rosemary, etc

Chicken (boneless, skinless thighs preferred)

Mustards, several types

Mayonnaise (for deviled eggs and more)

Garbanzo beans (can) and tahini to make hummus any time

Vinegars, red and white wine, basalmic

Lemons, limes, other fruits

Shallots, onions

Sauces: A-1 steak, soy (low-sodium),

Butter, unsalted

Sour cream or plain greek yoghurt

Compound herb butters made in summer, frozen, used all year

Anchovies in a tin

Pork chops

Cashews, hazelnuts, almonds

Protein bars - a few

Olive oil, coconut oil

Vegetables, fresh and frozen, variety

Cocoa, unsweetened, top quality

Sugar

Hard cheeses like romano to add lots of flavor but little dairy

No grains for me

I just thought of another "must have" - tea! I've been sitting here drinking my iced tea, and it's the one thing I use EVERY DAY, like some with their coffee. Yet it took me this long to think about it.

Down here in Texas, iced tea is like water -- it's everywhere. You don't even have to ask for "iced tea," you just order "tea." The only question asked is "Sweet or un-sweet?" As much as I do enjoy a big glass of Texas sweet tea, the combination of caffeine and sugar will have me bouncing off the walls for hours.

BTW, there is only one brand of tea for iced tea."Luzianne." If you can't get it in Jersey, let me know. Your "bro" from Glassboro will send you some.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom