Need help with menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I found 8 cups of beef broth when I cleaned out the freezer. They are thawed and ready to use. I plan on making french onion soup with them today but I know that won't satisfy my guy. I need something else to go with it. My pantry is pretty well stocked since I just went to the store Sunday. Anybody got any suggestions of something to serve with the onion soup for dinner?

I don't know, but guess, that the weather in Newport News is pretty warm right now (lived there once upon a time, at Fort Monroe). How about a good starch-based salad? Macaroni, rice, potato? Hot soup, cool salad to offset it.

If the guy is a real traditionalist, use the soup as a first course and make a pasta based main course.

It does seem awfully hot for French Onion soup.

I know it's hot but the beef broth was scattered in little containers stuff all over the freezer. Some of them I forgot to label and had to thaw them out to figure out what it was! I don't want to lose the broth so thought I'd better get it used since it thawed out now. I figure I'll caramelize the onions, make a roux and add the broth and seasonings then instead of broiling, I'll melt the cheese in the microwave. Using the crockpot will help to cut down on the heat generated.

I'm leaning towards a salad at this point. I can boil up some eggs, have the lettuce, some shredded carrots, some chopped ham, cherry tomatoes and cheese.

Do you like Mexican rice? Not Spanish rice, Mexican rice. There is a difference. Different seasonings, and Spanish rice has a sauce.

MEXICAN RICE
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • ½ cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
  • ½ red bell pepper, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp Mexican oregano
  • ½ tsp ground corriander
  • fresh cilantro for garnish
Directions:

Pour vegetable broth, beef broth, and juice from petite diced tomatoes into measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups, if required. Put all ingredients into rice cooker or medium sized pot, and cook as you would everyday rice. Place finished rice in serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley.

I have to say, that although I have no additions to make to this thread, that cheese toasties is the cutest term I have ever heard.

Toasties.. Aw.

I'm sure you've prepared your meal but this would have been my suggestion:

Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Swiss, Pepper Jack and Cheddar Cheese. Topped with sauteed onions, peppers and sliced mushrooms.

A fresh side salad with light dressing.

I highly recommend this for dessert!

Annie's Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

Ingredients:

• 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
  • 2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
  • 8 ounces raspberries
  • 1 pound strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
  • 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
  • butter flavored cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

Directions

1. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.

Pioneer Lady, I am coming to your house the next time you have French Onion Soup! Your meal sounds fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom