"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Goes good in chili, nice for cheeseburgers, open grilled cheese sandwiches (topped with some sliced onion?)
Emeril's Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin

Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Is there a Tilamook in Vermont?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
And I need to use it up NOW. It's getting "sharper" by the day and I don't want it to go to waste. I am extremely uptight about wasting food, but I can't think of anything to do with it over the next couple of days. It's Tilamook Extra Sharp, about 1/2 lb. left. Usually, I'll find something to inspire me, but I've been looking all morning for something in my files or online and can't think of anything!

I have just about every meat you can imagine in the freezer and a very extensive pantry. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, frozen and canned, grains of all sorts. I can't imagine something I wouldn't have on-hand, so any idea would be fine. I just need to use up this cheese.

Thanks!
I'd be making Mac and Cheese! That Tillamook cheddar makes GREAT mac and cheese. And the weather (here, anyway) is perfect for such comfort food.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I'd be making Mac and Cheese! That Tillamook cheddar makes GREAT mac and cheese. And the weather (here, anyway) is perfect for such comfort food.
ChefJune, you know I like you, I really do! but Velochic has already said:

"Quesadillas or mac and cheese. Good ideas. Dh is a diet-controlled Type II diabetic, so I may go for the quesadilla. We haven't had those for a while."
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Is there a Tilamook in Vermont?
NOPE! (Well, not that I know of.) Wrong coast... just checked the package and it's OREGON. Sorry about that!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
What about a lasagna with cheddar and mozza as the cheeses? Seems a waste of a good sharp cheddar though. Can you not freeze it? I would grate it and freeze it grated for use in the future myself. I have bags of grated cheddar in my freezer.
I guess I should have mentioned in my first post, but dh *was* Type II diabetic and he managed to get off all his meds last year by controlling his diet and getting more exercise. So, in general, I try to not make our suppers with pasta, even though we use only whole-grain when we do.

This cheese actually had been previously frozen... I think that's why it's ripening so quickly. When we had it with the apples last weekend it was horribly crumbly, so whatever I do with it, it will probably have to be grated.

We have some flax seed tortillas that I think I'm going to use for quesadillas, but I'm certainly still open for any ideas. I have another pound in the refrigerator that hasn't been opened. I just can't pass it up when I hit Costco.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

How about Cheddar soup or a Cheddar bread?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
Sous Chef

A dish my family and guests really clean up when I serve it....and I don't have exact measurements.
Blanch some green beans, drain and put in pot
Crumble different kinds of crackers ...couple of handsfull at least, add to beans
cut your cheese up, or separate it with fork tines and mix into above
Make sure you mix everthing together well and put into a well buttered casserole. Bake at 325F until cheese has softened well and top is slightly crusty....oh yes, you can add some parmesan on the top of the heap before baking.....ENJOY
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

My vote would be for the Roadhouse Mac and Cheese. I've made it...once...it takes time, is rich, but if you like mac and cheese you should try it once. Also, my DH is also Type II diabetic, takes a couple of meds (he'd be able to drop them if he exercised more than the handle on his recliner) and I still serve pasta. When we were trying to adjust diets around here I found out that restricting starch is not always necessary; the American Diabetes Assoc. even says that they are part of a healthy meal plan. Of course all cases are individual, but we still have starchy foods in the house with no apparent problem. FWIW, back when I really cared I lost 35 pounds on the "all things in moderation" diet. Now? pfftt! Dang clam chowdah!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How about Cheddar soup or a Cheddar bread?
This sounds good, too. It got me thinking, though... I wonder if its age and being thawed will have an effect on its ability to melt evenly. Anybody?