Need to use up VERY sharp Vermont cheddar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made lasagne with low-carb tortillas in place of the noodles to make it more diabetic-friendly. It's not the same thing though, and for myself, I'll stick with the pasta.

Cooking Goddess - dh is off all meds, but he does still test every morning. Pasta really increases his numbers and overnight he really sees a difference because he wakes up a lot (diabetics will know what I mean), so it even affects his sleep. Not to say that he doesn't indulge in pasta... but if he does, it's not going to be for mac and cheese. ;)

Letscook - upthread, I'd already mentioned a couple times that this has been frozen already. I don't want to freeze it again.

Jet - I agree... if I'm going to make lasagne, I go all out (including nothing low-fat :D)

Alix - thanks!

I am planning to make soup with it today and if there is enough left over, quesadillas with tortillas for us and low-carb flax tortillas for dh.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!!

Stuffed pork chops. I have a recipe that calls for sharp cheddar and chopped veggies like gr pepper, carrot, etc. Good stuff!

And I need to use it up NOW. It's getting "sharper" by the day and I don't want it to go to waste. I am extremely uptight about wasting food, but I can't think of anything to do with it over the next couple of days. It's Tilamook Extra Sharp, about 1/2 lb. left. Usually, I'll find something to inspire me, but I've been looking all morning for something in my files or online and can't think of anything!

I have just about every meat you can imagine in the freezer and a very extensive pantry. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, frozen and canned, grains of all sorts. I can't imagine something I wouldn't have on-hand, so any idea would be fine. I just need to use up this cheese.

Thanks!

This might sound strange to you. But trust me, it tastes great. Use some of that tangy cheese melted over a good apple pie. Another option, sprinkle over shepard's pie. It's also great in a fritata, or with egg-foo-young (sp). Sharp cheddar is best when aged beyond 3 years. It then develops little crystals of salt or calcium. And the flavor matures properly. I just finished a brick of 10 year aged cheddar that I purchaced at The Cheese Hause in Frankenmuth Michigan. My favorite though is Balderson Heritage Cheddar, aged 5 years. Makes Tillamook look like a poor cousin IMHO. Great cheddar is so good when broken into little chunks, and mixed into a green salad, topped with a splash of raspberry vinagarette. And dont' forget encilada pie, made by layering fresh tortillas, enchilada sauce, ground beef, shredded cheese, onion, and black olives, like with lasagna. It's soooo tasty.

You have a host of options submitted by a host of people. I hope your cheese is well used and thouroughly enjoyed.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cooking Goddess - dh is off all meds, but he does still test every morning. Pasta really increases his numbers and overnight he really sees a difference because he wakes up a lot (diabetics will know what I mean), so it even affects his sleep. Not to say that he doesn't indulge in pasta... but if he does, it's not going to be for mac and cheese. ;)

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

If I could only have pasta as a rare treat, it will virtually always be my mac'n'cheese.

I need it! :) I can never find super sharp cheese locally. Yes, its true... I make blue cheese soup too. What can I say, I like food that bites back:)

Back
Top Bottom