"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Need to use up VERY sharp Vermont cheddar

And I need to use it up NOW. It's getting "sharper" by the day and I don't want it to go to waste. I am extremely uptight about wasting food, but I can't think of anything to do with it over the next couple of days. It's Tilamook Extra Sharp, about 1/2 lb. left. Usually, I'll find something to inspire me, but I've been looking all morning for something in my files or online and can't think of anything!

I have just about every meat you can imagine in the freezer and a very extensive pantry. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, frozen and canned, grains of all sorts. I can't imagine something I wouldn't have on-hand, so any idea would be fine. I just need to use up this cheese.

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Stuffed mushrooms. Remove stem and scrape out

the gills, I use white button or crimini, add a dab of dijon mustard, a chunk of cheese to fit and bake in a buttered dish covered at 350 for about 10 - 15 minutes. Just until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are tender. Sometimes I add a little wine or broth to the pan if the mushrooms are large.

I also like to slice and saute the mushrooms then make a grilled mushroom and cheese sandwich. And the sharper the cheese the better for the sandwich.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

It does not get much better than a sharp cheddar with slices of apple. It is easy to make and so delicious.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Shred it and mix it with a milder cheese, and make a couple of quesadillas for lunch. (Cheese sandwiched between two flour tortillas and then dry-heated in a medium-low heat frying pan until the cheese melts, flipped for a couple of moments, and then, on a cutting board, sliced into wedges like a pizza. It may or may not be served with salsa.) It's like a large Mexican grilled cheese sandwich without the butter.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Sounds like you could make a very tangy and delicious mac and cheese.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It does not get much better than a sharp cheddar with slices of apple. It is easy to make and so delicious.
That's where the other 1/2lb. went. They want something different.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quesadillas or mac and cheese. Good ideas. Dh is a diet-controlled Type II diabetic, so I may go for the quesadilla. We haven't had those for a while.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Head Chef

Just mail it to me. :)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Everymom

What about a lasagna with cheddar and mozza as the cheeses? Seems a waste of a good sharp cheddar though. Can you not freeze it? I would grate it and freeze it grated for use in the future myself. I have bags of grated cheddar in my freezer.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Get some crispy crust French or Italian bread. Butter or use evoo on the outside, layer your cheese,thin sliced granny smith apples or even pears,and some proscuitto, put in a press or a skillet with a heavy skillet on top and make paninni's. We serve with a nice green baby greens..
enjoy
kadesma