Need to use up VERY sharp Vermont cheddar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
And I need to use it up NOW. It's getting "sharper" by the day and I don't want it to go to waste. I am extremely uptight about wasting food, but I can't think of anything to do with it over the next couple of days. It's Tilamook Extra Sharp, about 1/2 lb. left. Usually, I'll find something to inspire me, but I've been looking all morning for something in my files or online and can't think of anything!

I have just about every meat you can imagine in the freezer and a very extensive pantry. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, frozen and canned, grains of all sorts. I can't imagine something I wouldn't have on-hand, so any idea would be fine. I just need to use up this cheese.

Thanks!

Stuffed mushrooms. Remove stem and scrape out

the gills, I use white button or crimini, add a dab of dijon mustard, a chunk of cheese to fit and bake in a buttered dish covered at 350 for about 10 - 15 minutes. Just until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are tender. Sometimes I add a little wine or broth to the pan if the mushrooms are large.

I also like to slice and saute the mushrooms then make a grilled mushroom and cheese sandwich. And the sharper the cheese the better for the sandwich.

It does not get much better than a sharp cheddar with slices of apple. It is easy to make and so delicious.

Shred it and mix it with a milder cheese, and make a couple of quesadillas for lunch. (Cheese sandwiched between two flour tortillas and then dry-heated in a medium-low heat frying pan until the cheese melts, flipped for a couple of moments, and then, on a cutting board, sliced into wedges like a pizza. It may or may not be served with salsa.) It's like a large Mexican grilled cheese sandwich without the butter.

Quesadillas or mac and cheese. Good ideas. Dh is a diet-controlled Type II diabetic, so I may go for the quesadilla. We haven't had those for a while.

What about a lasagna with cheddar and mozza as the cheeses? Seems a waste of a good sharp cheddar though. Can you not freeze it? I would grate it and freeze it grated for use in the future myself. I have bags of grated cheddar in my freezer.

Get some crispy crust French or Italian bread. Butter or use evoo on the outside, layer your cheese,thin sliced granny smith apples or even pears,and some proscuitto, put in a press or a skillet with a heavy skillet on top and make paninni's. We serve with a nice green baby greens..
enjoy
kadesma

And I need to use it up NOW. It's getting "sharper" by the day and I don't want it to go to waste. I am extremely uptight about wasting food, but I can't think of anything to do with it over the next couple of days. It's Tilamook Extra Sharp, about 1/2 lb. left. Usually, I'll find something to inspire me, but I've been looking all morning for something in my files or online and can't think of anything!

I have just about every meat you can imagine in the freezer and a very extensive pantry. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, frozen and canned, grains of all sorts. I can't imagine something I wouldn't have on-hand, so any idea would be fine. I just need to use up this cheese.

Thanks!

I'd be making Mac and Cheese! That Tillamook cheddar makes GREAT mac and cheese. And the weather (here, anyway) is perfect for such comfort food.

I'd be making Mac and Cheese! That Tillamook cheddar makes GREAT mac and cheese. And the weather (here, anyway) is perfect for such comfort food.

ChefJune, you know I like you, I really do! but Velochic has already said:

"Quesadillas or mac and cheese. Good ideas. Dh is a diet-controlled Type II diabetic, so I may go for the quesadilla. We haven't had those for a while."

What about a lasagna with cheddar and mozza as the cheeses? Seems a waste of a good sharp cheddar though. Can you not freeze it? I would grate it and freeze it grated for use in the future myself. I have bags of grated cheddar in my freezer.

I guess I should have mentioned in my first post, but dh *was* Type II diabetic and he managed to get off all his meds last year by controlling his diet and getting more exercise. So, in general, I try to not make our suppers with pasta, even though we use only whole-grain when we do.

This cheese actually had been previously frozen... I think that's why it's ripening so quickly. When we had it with the apples last weekend it was horribly crumbly, so whatever I do with it, it will probably have to be grated.

We have some flax seed tortillas that I think I'm going to use for quesadillas, but I'm certainly still open for any ideas. I have another pound in the refrigerator that hasn't been opened.:LOL: I just can't pass it up when I hit Costco.

A dish my family and guests really clean up when I serve it....and I don't have exact measurements.
Blanch some green beans, drain and put in pot
Crumble different kinds of crackers ...couple of handsfull at least, add to beans
cut your cheese up, or separate it with fork tines and mix into above
Make sure you mix everthing together well and put into a well buttered casserole. Bake at 325F until cheese has softened well and top is slightly crusty....oh yes, you can add some parmesan on the top of the heap before baking.....ENJOY

My vote would be for the Roadhouse Mac and Cheese. I've made it...once...it takes time, is rich, but if you like mac and cheese you should try it once.:chef: Also, my DH is also Type II diabetic, takes a couple of meds (he'd be able to drop them if he exercised more than the handle on his recliner) and I still serve pasta. When we were trying to adjust diets around here I found out that restricting starch is not always necessary; the American Diabetes Assoc. even says that they are part of a healthy meal plan. Of course all cases are individual, but we still have starchy foods in the house with no apparent problem. FWIW, back when I really cared I lost 35 pounds on the "all things in moderation" diet. Now? pfftt! Dang clam chowdah!:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom