New Ideas For Chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyCatLady

Sous Chef
I have a pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, a pack of thighs (bone-in, skin on), cream of chicken soup and wide egg noodles.

Could I turn this into a casserole? I thought of Googling recipes but I think I'll trust you folks first. I don't have to use all the chicken, as there are only two of us here, and I can freeze one package to use later.

Chicken was on sale, and I guess I went a little overboard. What say you folks?

Sure! With your ingredients list, I would add some chopped celery and onions, maybe a tad bit of wine, sherry, or vermouth. Dash of soy sauce or worchestershire, lots of black pepper. Broccoli or peas would work too, or any other combo of fresh or frozen veggies. Maybe make it like tuna casserole, cook up the chicken breast, chop, and mix the stuff, boil up and slightly undercook the noodles, then bake, stovetop, or CP. Maybe a topping of bread crumbs, cheese, or potato chips.

Last edited:
I have a suggestion as well. Remove the skins and fry until crisply. Lightly salt them. Remove the sins from the pan and onto paper towels. Set aside. Dice chicken thighs and breasts to make 1 cup diced chicken. Set aside. Fry bones in chicken fat from the skins, turning until browned on all sides. Crack the bones and throw into a pot with 3 cups water. Add 1 stalk of celery, chopped into 4 sections. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 40 minutes. Remove the and season with salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning mix. Heat the chicken fat again, and add flour to make a smooth paste. Cook the roux until blonde in color. Slowly whisk in chicken stock to make a smooth sauce (Veloute' in this case). Cook egg noodles until tender. Add diced carrot, and drained noodles to the sauce. Lightly fry the chicken until lightly browned. Add to the sauce and noodles. Serve hot with whole wheat toast points, or good dinner rolls, with a leafy salad on the side. Include something to drink that will refresh and cleanse the palate, but without a heavy aftertaste. The salad should also be eaten last, maybe with a cold, juicy pair.

Oh, my mind goes on and on. I'll stop now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For the breasts: Put 1/2 cup flour in a wide, shallow dish and mix in 1/2 each of tsp salt, crumbled dried thyme and sage, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan and brown chicken on both sides. Meanwhile, mix soup with 1/3 cup milk and 1 tbsp Dijon mustard. I like to add extra thyme and sage to this.

Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Deglaze pan with white wine or chicken broth, scraping up browned bits. Stir in soup mixture. Put chicken back in the pan and spoon sauce over it. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice or egg noodles.

Freeze the thighs for another night.

Last edited:
Wow, all these sound so good! I'll show these to hubby and see what appeals to him. I like em all!

Thanks!

My new ideas for chickens is to build a sandbox, bags of leaves, some kongs that can be stuffed with "scratch". Oh, you wanted new ideas how to EAT chicken! NOOOOOO, can't eat Myrtle and the girls--just their unborn.

Last edited:
Those all sound good to me but I'm in the mood for something Italian. If you have some ready made pasta sauce or canned tomatoes to make your own sauce, it's quick and easy. I'd use the thighs, skinned and browned in a skillet. Dump the well seasoned sauce over them with a can of sliced olives, and simmer till done. Serve over the cooked noodles.

Then there's this:

The Chief's Smoldering Chicken

If you love Hot Wings*

If you love hot wings, then I have an outstanding barbecue chicken recipe for you. I call it Smoldering Chicken. It doesn't burn your mouth, but leaves a warm glow.
And the flavor is amazing. Trust me, when you read the ingredients, you will probably think that this chicken is beyond the taste buds of ordinary mortals. It looks like it will be blistering hot. But it isn't. It will surprise you. (By the way, my eldest daughter (P.A.G.), and her husband made sure that I'd made an ingredient list so they could make it.)

The technique given is for use with a kettle-style charcoal grill, but can easily be adapted to any covered grill or barbecue, gas, wood, or charcoal. Enjoy.

Sauce:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 tbs. good soy sauce

8 to 10 chicken thighs, with the skin removed

Mix the sauce ingredients together. Pour into a 1 gallon freezer bag & add the chicken pieces. Move everything around inside the bag until the chicken is well coated with the sauce. Press the air from the bag and place it in the refrigerator for two hours. Make your side dishes during this marinating time.

Fire up the grill with a solid bed of charcoal and let it go until the coals are glowing. Place the chicken on the grill, leaving space between the pieces. Cover and close all vents half way. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and turn over. Cover and cook for 7 additional minutes. Test with an instant read meat thermometer. Remove the chicken when the temperature reads 160 degrees.

Serve with vegetable kabobs, baked beans, or other summertime foods such as salads, grilled fruit, etc.

Wow. That sounds like one sweet dish! Definitely going to try that out as soon as I can.
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V! :D

This is one of the simplest recipes I know, and also one of the most delicious chicken dishes ever:

Aldo Frabrizi's Pollo alla Romana (chicken Roman style)

I was in Rome one year for the summer, back in the sixties. It was a hot year, and virtually all the restaurants had put tables outside on the pavements, 'cordoned' off with potted hedging plants, so you could eat outside. Inside the trattoria the dishes of the day were displayed on a a table near the kitchen, and I was struck by how colourful it all was. I chose Pollo alla Romana con peperoni because the red and yellow bell peppers looked so appealing, the way each piece concealed a chicken joint underneath. And it was delicious. The owner was one Aldo Fabrizi, known for his traditional Roman cuisine.

Here is the recipe:

for 4 people

1 chicken jointed, skin on, bone in.
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 large glass full-bodied dry white wine
4 - 5 bell peppers, large
750g - 1 kg very ripe fresh plum tomatoes ( they should be ripe to a point of softness)

Was and joint the chicken, chop the garlic finely and fry off over a medium heat in the olive oil until they are light brown all over. Keep stirring as you do this. Add the white wine over a higher heat so that it sizzles. Cut the peppers along the ribs and de-seed them and add to the pan. When the chicken and peppers are about 1/2 way cooked add the chopped fresh tomatoes. Lower the heat, lid on and cook on a low heat until the flavours have melded, the chicken is done and the tomatoes are now a sauce (about 1/2 hour). Have plenty of crusty bread to hand to mop up the sauce.

Buon appetito!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

That sounds really good, di. A great recipe for this time of year when garden-fresh peppers and tomatoes are plentiful. By jointed, you mean cut up, right?

Yes. Cut up on the bone. At this time of year, as you say, with fresh very ripe tomatoes and bell peppers it's delish. Buon appetito!

di reston

Nothing is ever as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

The minimalist recipe:

Place some flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and shake with the chicken, then saute the chicken pieces in EVOO until lightly browned. Pour in the cream of chicken soup, cover and simmer on low for maybe 30 minutes or so. Add additional water, wine or chicken broth if necessary to keep chicken pieces about half submerged.

Boil some water and toss in the noodles, keep the temperature and cook about 20 minutes or until al dente which means "to the bite" or another words, tender. Drain and throw in with the chicken and soup mixture.

Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. Adding anything else is optional. Steamed broccoli pieces sounds good to me. :)

When si teh last time you made fried chicken and waffles, with a honey glaze on the fried chicken, and either honey or maple syrup on the buttered waffles? Serve it up with a side of mashed sweet spuds. Sounds like a fine chicken meal to me.:yum:

Back
Top Bottom