New ways for plain meat and potatoes....please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
We have a boarder staying with us who reminds me so much of my Dad in that all he wants is meat and potatoes....literally and with no sauces except gravy! However my DH is more into low carb and I am a former vegetarian who was forced back to eating some red meat because of anemia. Oh, and I have a mild wheat intolerance (not full celiac) and DH is lactose intolerant.

I am running out of ways to cook beef (doesn't like ground), chicken breasts or thighs and pork chops. I have two more suppers before the boarder leaves for the Christmas holidays and I am desperate to do something different. So far this week we have had steak with baked potatoes (and salad for us), pork chops with mashed potatoes and carrots, and turkey leftovers from an early Christmas dinner.

Any ideas for chicken tonight that doesn't involve bbq or any other type of sauce or rub?

I am not sure if that is "plain" enough for the boarder. Also, I can't bread it for me or use cheese or butter for DH. But thanks for the thought, I have some time today so I might play with those and see what I can come up with!

Fry a Chicken...bread the boarder's and saute' the breast for you and DH....I hope this person is special to you. If not, I'd tell them to eat whats on the table or MaDonalds is right down the road!

When in doubt, a slow-cooked roast, along with some beef broth in the crockpot is certainly easy (and adding the quartered potatoes halfway thru the cooking time). You can have beef soaked potatoes to help with your anemia and the border will be happy :)

How about cut up some chicken breast either strips or cube cook in a chefs pan or wok add frozen stir fry veggies. Small cube some cheiftain or yukon gold potatoe micro-wave till almost tender and add them in too. Use some chicken stock to deglaze if the pan is hot. Yes I would like rice but if they really want potatoes it gets them to be happy...
Say maybe a shepards pie ? Good Luck!

We have a boarder staying with us who reminds me so much of my Dad in that all he wants is meat and potatoes....literally and with no sauces except gravy! However my DH is more into low carb and I am a former vegetarian who was forced back to eating some red meat because of anemia. Oh, and I have a mild wheat intolerance (not full celiac) and DH is lactose intolerant.

I am running out of ways to cook beef (doesn't like ground), chicken breasts or thighs and pork chops. I have two more suppers before the boarder leaves for the Christmas holidays and I am desperate to do something different. So far this week we have had steak with baked potatoes (and salad for us), pork chops with mashed potatoes and carrots, and turkey leftovers from an early Christmas dinner.

Any ideas for chicken tonight that doesn't involve bbq or any other type of sauce or rub?

Pork chops(or boneless loin to save fat) baked on augratin potatoes.. On pan meal, tasty..
Smoked sausage, sour kraut and mashed potatoes.
Ham, cabbage and potatoes--just toss it in and cook..
Swiss steak!!
Cubed steak, fried. Mashed potatoes, gravy.. pick a vegetable.

How about a corned beef and cabbage dinner?

You don't just have to eat it on St. Patty's day ya know.

Thanks everyone for these great ideas. Unfortunately the cabbage is out for both men(though I love it), but I am sure I can glean something here.

Oh, and Uncle B we have grown kind of attached to him over the months, but you are actually right, there IS a McDonalds two blocks away!

very simple chicken dish

A very simple chicken dish is French Chicken in a Pot as highlighted in CI this month.

Essentially, you brown a whole, seasoned chicken in a dutch oven, starting with the breast down, and then the underside. Throw in no more that 1 cup total of chopped onion and celery and garlic while browning. Place aluminum foil over the pot, put the top on and cook at 250 degrees at the lowest possible shelf position for about 80 to 110 minutes, and when a meat thermometer reads 175 degrees in the thigh.

I have done this and it is the juiciest and tenderest chicken I have ever had. The left over juices in the pot can be strained, defatted and passed with the bird.

There is just enough moisture in the veggies (1 cup) to keep the bird moist, but it does not braise, it roasts. Cast iron DO is ideal, but I used a disc bottomed SS one and got good results.

Only down side is the skin is not very crisp, but the meat was so good, I have no problem just throwing the skin away. Probably save 200 calories too;)

We have a bil who has never eaten anything different after he was five years old.

Meat and taters. Don't even think about putting some onions or anything else in the dish.

So that is what we make, for him. For the rest of us, we have a ball. We eat anything we want.

If you can I would suggest you make the baarder's meal and your own.

If that is not possible I am sorry.

God bless.

Well, if you have a Meat Grinder, you can make the same meal that my family has for Christmas every year. Not sure where the heck the tradition came from, but nevertheless, it is a tradition.

It's basically roast beef hash. But it's not the chopped kind.

To prepare:
- Cook a beef roast and cool. I use a basic beef boullion and a slow cooker.
- Cook several potatos and cool

Once it is all cool enough to handle, use your meat grinder to grind both the potatoes and chunks of the roast together. I like to use a 3:2 ratio roughly.. More potatoes..

After it's all blended, you're essentially left with a dark looking mashed potatoes.

Add milk to get is a little creamier and whip it all up. I then put it in the oven at 350 for just a couple of minutes..

To Serve:
Put a heaping pile on your plate.. Mash it down to about 1/2 thick. Top with butter and salt..

I know it sounds weird, but it really is something I look forward to every year.. I'm counting the hours down now!

Enjoy...

Great minds think alike. I was thinking the various forms of hash as well. I went back to look at where you are from, and I assume BC can get cold this time of year. But I love various veggies, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a favorite seasoning, then grilled. After that you can do a lot with them.

Back
Top Bottom