not-so-homemade corn chowder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
I've got two cans of Corn Chowder that I'd like to personalize/make better...suggestions as to what I could add to make it special?

BACON!!!! fry it up crisp.. crumble and toss in.
then in the bacon fat, saute some onion and some chili peppers.. if you want a little spice, jalapeno, mild, pablano peppers. Make sure to add some bell rouge pepper to help hold the sweetness level.

That is an idea....I can buy cooked bacon can't I? I'm electric skillet cooking all of my meals - and I only have one so I can only prepare one dish at a time...and if the soup is in it, you follow...?

I also realized I have imitation crab.....how does that cook up?

some shrimp or a can of crabmeat. I love Crab/Corn Chowder. a few chiles or a dash of hot sauce will pep it up.

some sauteed red peppers will add color.

How can I cook imatation crab meat? Saute it? Or could simply adding it to the soup while cooking, cook it enough?

That is an idea....I can buy cooked bacon can't I? I'm electric skillet cooking all of my meals - and I only have one so I can only prepare one dish at a time...and if the soup is in it, you follow...?

I also realized I have imitation crab.....how does that cook up?

Those Bacon Bits you buy in the tin? That doesn't taste like real bacon to me, plus you miss the dab of bacon fat that clings to freshly cooked bacon and adds aroma and flavor.

Don't get me started on imitation crab! There's so much hfcs in it I get hives from one bite! I'd say leave it plain rather than add that. But truly, a bit of freshly chopped and sauteed onion, celery and pepper, either green or red, will add MUCH to your canned corn chowder. No meat is necessary. :)

Those Bacon Bits you buy in the tin? That doesn't taste like real bacon to me, plus you miss the dab of bacon fat that clings to freshly cooked bacon and adds aroma and flavor.

Don't get me started on imitation crab! There's so much hfcs in it I get hives from one bite! I'd say leave it plain rather than add that. But truly, a bit of freshly chopped and sauteed onion, celery and pepper, either green or red, will add MUCH to your canned corn chowder. No meat is necessary. :)

You know, maybe I'll just grab a can of crab meat (non-imatation) and some cooked bacon.

Should I skimp on the bacon and get Bac-ohs?

Please buy real bacon or turkey bacon if you must, I beg you.

To dress up a corn chowder in the can, I would saute some chopped onion with chopped bacon (2 -3 slices) and maybe add one small potato cut into cubes. Add some white cheddar on top or some cream. Delish.

If you only have the electric skillet, cook your bacon first, take out some of the bacon grease leaving a little for flavor, add you chowder heat through plate it add the crisp bacon and enjoy

kadesma

Thanks for the tips guys and gals, which ever applies. ;)

I'm going to add some bacon and crab and potatos.

Yuh-uh-um.

I'd saute some onion, sliced carrots, and celery and add it to the soup, along with maybe a couple of tablespoons of sherry.

I sauted some diced potatos, green bell pep's, onion and carrots in a itty bit of bacon grease - then mixed in the 2 cans of soup with milk and in the end crumbled bacon over it.

It was quite yummy.

everyone else is right, when i make it, i chop bacon then fry it, thats the starter of corn chowder. when you add cooked potatoes, smash them against the side of the pot, the your half way there (thickens it) let me know if you need more directions

Back
Top Bottom