"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

While we are on the subject, another thing to do with sausage and peppers is to add some pre boiled potatoes and fry yourself up a nice hash to serve with eggs and toast...

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

pac, in stealing andy's idea, f you can't get good sausage at a particular time but have access to shoulder blade pork chops or pork rib ends try making pork and peppers in sauce. one of my faves.

pat dry, s&p, then brown the chops or meaty rib ends well in olive oil. put into a deep pot with enough tomato sauce to cover them over medium low heat to simmer. after they've simmered about an hour and are getting soft but not fall off the bone yet, saute some garlic, onions, and peppers and add to the pork and sauce with some dried oregano and basil. let simmer a while longer until the meat is seperating from the bones. serve over pasta with lots of grated cheese.

it's sort of a poor man's veal and peppers. i remember ee tried the veal a while back, but making a sauce from scratch while doing this can be tricky with too much water or inferior tomatoes. just use a jarred sauce you like.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I always grab the "colored" peppers when they are on the 50% off rack. I bring them home, chop them up, toss them in a zippie, freeze them and then use them in stir fries. I do the same with celery when it is on sale/special.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I always grab the "colored" peppers when they are on the 50% off rack. I bring them home, chop them up, toss them in a zippie, freeze them and then use them in stir fries. I do the same with celery when it is on sale/special.
As you probably already know, in the larger grocery stores around here, the colored peppers have been packaged in rainbow packs. 4 per pack. Usully 2 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange. They end up being the better deal per pound. Mind you, you have to use them up. That's why you always see peppers in just about everything I cook. lol. My girlfriend despises green peppers so I rarely use them any more.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
As you probably already know, in the larger grocery stores around here, the colored peppers have been packaged in rainbow packs. 4 per pack. Usully 2 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange. They end up being the better deal per pound. Mind you, you have to use them up. That's why you always see peppers in just about everything I cook. lol. My girlfriend despises green peppers so I rarely use them any more.
What a rip. We only get three/pack down here, red, yellow and orange. They are still usually the better buy though. And fresher appearing.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
With more than one colour of pepper, I would probably want to make a pretty ratatouille. Don't peel the eggplant or it turns out kinda grey.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What a rip. We only get three/pack down here, red, yellow and orange. They are still usually the better buy though. And fresher appearing.
All our produce is loose and you choose your own. Only the old stuff is packaged and price to sell quickly. Sometimes you can get a really good bargain. If you are going to use it that night or the next day.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All our produce is loose and you choose your own. Only the old stuff is packaged and price to sell quickly. Sometimes you can get a really good bargain. If you are going to use it that night or the next day.
I'll grab peppers off of the clearance rack if I feel up to roasting and marinating them the same day....
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I'll grab peppers off of the clearance rack if I feel up to roasting and marinating them the same day....
My town store doesn't have a clearance rack.
I think they buy their produce from other stores' clearance racks
That's why the pre-packaged peppers they buy often appear fresher and less wrinkled. Same for any of their produce really, unless it's in season.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My town store doesn't have a clearance rack.
I think they buy their produce from other stores' clearance racks
That's why the pre-packaged peppers they buy often appear fresher and less wrinkled. Same for any of their produce really, unless it's in season.
It's hit and miss around here also. Sometimes it seems the worse the vegetables are, the more they ask for them...Not sure who is buying wrinkled green peppers at 267 per lb. I know I ain't....

Tags
pepper