"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
They are like the orange and yellow ones if I remember correctly. Thanks to genetically modified technology, everything tastes the same
So basically it is a color thing not a flavor thing.

Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #42
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We always put a couple of bell pepper colors, along with onions and garlic, in our meat sauce for spaghetti. Sometimes I use short pasta and bake it instead.
I just made a rich, tomato based meat sauce , with ground beef, and diced red peppers, and of course, sliced onion, and added it to corkscrew noodles (rotini) to make a variation of American Goulash, like my Dad used to make. The peppers make the meal. They add a flavor dimension that just works with oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary. I didn't add garlic to this one. It was wonderful. I think I posted the recipe a week or so ago.

I love bell peppers roasted, or Q'd, alongside a good pork roast, or mixed in with multiple hot peppers, and diced tomatoes to make home-made salsa.

I just took a pint jar of salsa that I canned last summer, and added a tsp. of ghost pepper powder to it for my cousin, who, like me, loves the hot stuff. The flavor of the red and yellow bell peppers, together with the jalapinos, Anehiem, Cubanells, and habenero peppers, with the onion, a touch of cilantro, a hint of salt, best salsa I think I've ever had. I tasted the before and after addition of the ghost peppers. The addition took that jar of salsa right over the top, in flavor, with just the right amount of heat.

Red, yellow, or orange bell peppers just add that amazing flavor to almost everything they touch. But I don't think I'll be adding them to my pancakes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #43
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
So basically it is a color thing not a flavor thing.
Pretty much. I think red, yellow, orange, chocolate are all very similar. I don't think people could tell in a blind taste test...Especially the commercially grown ones we see in the larger grocery stores..

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote