"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

wow! These are all great suggestions! Now I wish I had bought more pears. LOL.
the pear tart and kadesma's tea cake both sound particularly good. The glazed pears look goo too, sweet and spicy.

I'll have to go find out more about the tart, I wonder what else she put in there. Some kind of lemon cream would be tasty.

The pears are still hard so they need to ripen up a bit. I heard from the pear lady at the farmers market that they will ripen faster if you put them in a paper bag with a banana.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Cook

Pear Tatin!

Make ahead of time and serve at room temperature.

Here's a link and a photo/recipe:

Livingston Cooks: A HARVEST TIME FAVORITE

Marko
Livingston Cooks

Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
pears

Oh, I love pears. Here's an elegant way to use them. Slice them in about 1/4 inch slices, and brush w/ a little olive oil, and grill them until they get those great grill marks on them( sometimes I do it on the outdoor grill, and sometimes right on the stove on the ridged grill, or sometimes quickly on my GF electric grill) Then cool and use to garnish a salad that also has toasted walnuts, bibb lettuce, crumbled blue cheese , and a fresh made vinagrette made with fresh grated ginger, olive oil, a fruit vinegar, and the other usual stuff--garlic, dijon mustard, salt, fresh ground pepper, pinch of sugar.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Corazon,
The glazed pears should be made with harder pears, they will look better after all the handling.

Bananas release ethylene, which speeds up ripening.
Putting the pears in a paper bag with a soft banana will indeed speed up the process.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Pear Tatin!

Make ahead of time and serve at room temperature.

Here's a link and a photo/recipe:

http://http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/2007/09/harvest-time-favorite.html

Marko
http://http://livingstoncooks.blogspot.com/
Neither of your links worked for me Marko. Said it couldn't find the server. That is another good looking idea
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

Have you ever wrapped them in dough & baked?

Baked pear dumplings

Another salad fan - pears, parmesan (or bleu cheese), pecans or walnuts, (dates or figs) mixed greens, balsamic.

Fill the halves w mascarpone & sprinkle w chocolate shavings.

Add them to a fruit/pretzel/chip platter & dip them in Chocolate Fondue. Serve with a hunk of fresh Parmesan & assorted crackers.

Pan-Roasted Pear Salad with Watercress, Parmesan, and Pecans For Two
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol1 View Post
Oh, I love pears. Here's an elegant way to use them. Slice them in about 1/4 inch slices, and brush w/ a little olive oil, and grill them until they get those great grill marks on them( sometimes I do it on the outdoor grill, and sometimes right on the stove on the ridged grill, or sometimes quickly on my GF electric grill) Then cool and use to garnish a salad that also has toasted walnuts, bibb lettuce, crumbled blue cheese , and a fresh made vinagrette made with fresh grated ginger, olive oil, a fruit vinegar, and the other usual stuff--garlic, dijon mustard, salt, fresh ground pepper, pinch of sugar.
Cocoa nibs would be good thrown in there too. I may have to try out these grilled pears when dh is working.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I use a TNT recipe called "Pear Custard Bars", just google for the recipe.

It has a shortbread type crust with ground nuts that you bake off first. I use ground almonds. The next layer has cream cheese, but I have never used cream cheese, I always use a fresh soft goats' cheese, and considering how good it is with goats' cheese, it would be heavenly with cream cheese. I also add almond extract as well as vanilla extract, just cause the goats' cheese needs the extra flavor. This is topped with pears, cinnamon and something else. This is my favorite dessert to make for company.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
Cook

Try this:

Livingston Cooks
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I like a simple pear and bleu cheese salad. Use your baby lettuces, make a basic red-wine vinegar dressing. Top everything with a few fresh blueberries. You could even cut up a sauteed chicken breast and toss in too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote