Pears, pears, pears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pears any which way

Hi Corazon,

I`m new to this food chatline or mesage board so I hope I`m managing to do things right and post a message to you all the way from Scotland.

Well, the question is - what to do with pears.

I like the ROCHA pear and it`s the only one that I buy for eating raw.

But I love cooking with pears and would use them in the following ways:
1. Pear Sorbet;
2. Pear tarte tatin - just substitute peeled pears for the recipe of your choice;
3. Spiced pears in a red wine.cinnamon and clove syrup, cooled and served with Stilton cheese or Dolcelatte as a really different dessert - suits males and females alike;
4. Pear and frangipane tart;
5. Pear and ginger strudel.

Last month I made a pear and custard tart - flan ring lined with shortcrust pastry and baked blind or part baked (sorry, but I`m not sure what the American terminology is!); pears: peeled, halved and cored and layed on the flan base, custard (mix of milk, cream, sugar, eggs and egg yolk, flavoured with a shaving of nutmeg and pinch of cinnamon) poured on top. I then baked it until the custard was set. It was delicious both hot and cold.

How about pear quarters wrapped with parma ham/prosciotto, bayonne ham or serrano and then baked as a first course.

Most of the pears which we have in the UK at he moment are tasteless and wooden. How I envy you!

All the best,
Archiduc

Kadesma, a favorite desert when I was a kid was a pear, halved, peeled, and cored (because of many places we live, sometimes they were canned) with a scoop of cottage cheese holding the halves together and a piece of green onion stuck on top as the stem. We thought this particularly elegant, and Mom kept telling us it was a salad, not desert. At the time I hated cottage cheese, but loved this.

Corazon, what did you wind up making with your pears?

Claire, thanks for bumping it up - as Allen was asking about chicken breasts stuffed with Brie. Another thought is stuff the chicken breasts with sliced pears & Brie.

Kadesma, a favorite desert when I was a kid was a pear, halved, peeled, and cored (because of many places we live, sometimes they were canned) with a scoop of cottage cheese holding the halves together and a piece of green onion stuck on top as the stem. We thought this particularly elegant, and Mom kept telling us it was a salad, not desert. At the time I hated cottage cheese, but loved this.
Claire,
mom's have a way of getting us to eat things we think we don't like...Will have to try your mom's idea on my grandkids..
thanks.
kadesma:)

Poach them and serve them cold.

cut in half peel remove the seeds.

Put 1 teaspoon of sugar and enough red wine in a pan to come halfway up the pears.

Simmer and turn the pears so that they color evenly.

When they are cooked remove from the pan.

Turn up the heat and reduce to a syrup.

Put a dollop of sour cream where the seeds were and serve the syrup over.

We had that in the 50's growing up, but I didn't know it had a name. It was always on a lettuce leaf too. I never eat cottage cheese but what I long for a pear with it. Mom's canned pears supply never made it past January, and then we had to start on the peaches.
xmascarol,
my folks loved any kind of fruit and cottage cheese..As a kid I hated it but ate what was put in front of me.. I did love the fruit though. My sis on the other hand fed hers to our Doxie:ROFLMAO:...
kadesma

Hi Corazon,

I`m new to this food chatline or mesage board so I hope I`m managing to do things right and post a message to you all the way from Scotland.
Last month I made a pear and custard tart - flan ring lined with shortcrust pastry and baked blind or part baked (sorry, but I`m not sure what the American terminology is!); pears: peeled, halved and cored and layed on the flan base, custard (mix of milk, cream, sugar, eggs and egg yolk, flavoured with a shaving of nutmeg and pinch of cinnamon) poured on top. I then baked it until the custard was set. It was delicious both hot and cold.

Your pear tart sounds wonderful!!! I'm gonna have to get myself some more pears! (Where do you live in Scotland? My mom grew up in Montrose. Glad to have you join us)

*amy* said:
Corazon, what did you wind up making with your pears?
I ended up making some salads with candied walnuts and blue cheese (the grilled pears were awesome!)
I also made kadesma's pear tea cake. Another good one! Thanks kadesma.

The pears are long gone but I'd like to try some sort of pear puff pastry lemon cream type pastry.

Pears and custard

Well, this fall at a gathering of women at a pioneer house, we were served a lovely dessert something like that only with cored apples. It would be even more elegant with pears. I'll try that. We have baked custard in the fridge nearly all the time . I think I'll just put a pear half in the custard dish and pour custard around it. I'll probably eliminate any crusts as we don't need the extra calories

Hi Corazon,
Thanks for your comments. It really did taste good. If you want to try something similar then have a look at the "Tarte Normande aux Pommes" or custard apple tart given in the book: Mastering the Art of French Cookery by Simone Beck, Louisette Bertholle and Julia Child. I can honestly say that I made the tart first and then, during some late night reading came across the recipe. Having said that I have had the book for almost 30 years and looked at it many times and thus have no doubt that the idea was stored away in the back of my mind.

By the way, I live in Edinburgh. Will you be celebrating Burns Night?
All the best,
Archiduc

Burns night

Oh, I need to know the date, and I'll play a few Robbie Burns ditties and ballads,and maybe have some version of haggis. Not many Scots around here though I was married to an Urquhart for over 30 years and that's the last name of all my children then.
I have that cookbook and will look it up myself. Thanks for steering me to the right place.

Spiced Pear Trifle "Tiramisu"

Oh you have to try the trifle from the cover of Bon Appetit a month ago:
White Chocolate Tiramisu Trifle with Spiced Pears

White wine-poached spiced pears with mascarpone cream done tiramisu style. Uses pear brandy instead of coffee liqueur.

I haven't made his yet, but I got a trifle dish from Santa, so it's at the top of my queue! Sorry I can't post the link as I'm too new to insert a hyperlink.. but do a search at epicurious.com and you'll find it along with a couple other yummy pear trifles.

Attachments

• PearTrifle.jpg
    PearTrifle.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 200
Wow that looks pretty and delicious. Wish I may, wish I might, have a piece of that tonight!

Back
Top Bottom