Pears, pears, pears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmmm...I love pears....well, not the hard barlets...

I bought some today too! But I've always eaten them as is..

You are screaming fruit and cheese plate to me. Got any brie or other soft cheese? Pears go very well with that. Mmmm. I recently saw something where the pear was sliced and just warmed in some maple syrup then served on melba toast or something like that with toasted pecans sprinkled on top. Can't remember more than that, sorry corazon.

Here is my way of using pears. I peel them and pouch in a sugar and cinnamon sauce
1/2 cup sugar-3 cups water and 2-3 cinnamon sticks till tender when cool if you have any a little brandy/ or a little Vanilla and let them maserate for a day or two. Dlish.

Salad!! Blue cheese or shaved parmesa, rocket and walnuts.
Stew them and add to breakfast cereals or as a filling for pancakes.
Poached in red wine.
Pear butter.
Mix the stewed pears thru vanilla icecream.

Cora,
I like pears in a green salad and I have a pear bread recipe that is like a tea cake that we all love. I might have posted it here when I first joined. Getting ready to leave for dialysis but will look when I get home for you if you want.
kadesma
Oh DH loves pears and cottage cheese:LOL:

Corazon,
You can make a glazed pears salad with cheese, I'm always asked for seconds at home when I make it. This should serve 5/6

Cut 3 pears in quarters longitudinally, remove seeds and mix them with 3 tbsp of sugar, salt and pepper. Glaze them on a frying pan using 1 tbsp butter 3/4 min in med heat per side of quarter. Sprinkle some balsamic vinegar over the pear before done and set aside.

Cut a head of lettuce plus a head of raddicchio in pieces no bigger than 2 in. add salt and pepper.

Divide the lettuce mix into the serving plates. Add 1/3 cup of Gorgonzola or Stilton cheese (crumbled) and 1/4 cup of roasted walnuts.

Cut each pear quarter in two/three longitudinal slices without going all the way and serve two of each on top of each salad plate.

Make an apple pie--just use pears instead...

I love pears with cottage cheese, mix into jello, fruit salad, pear daiquiris,

one of my favorite fruits..

wow! These are all great suggestions! Now I wish I had bought more pears. LOL.
the pear tart and kadesma's tea cake both sound particularly good. The glazed pears look goo too, sweet and spicy.

I'll have to go find out more about the tart, I wonder what else she put in there. Some kind of lemon cream would be tasty.

The pears are still hard so they need to ripen up a bit. I heard from the pear lady at the farmers market that they will ripen faster if you put them in a paper bag with a banana.

pears

Oh, I love pears. Here's an elegant way to use them. Slice them in about 1/4 inch slices, and brush w/ a little olive oil, and grill them until they get those great grill marks on them( sometimes I do it on the outdoor grill, and sometimes right on the stove on the ridged grill, or sometimes quickly on my GF electric grill) Then cool and use to garnish a salad that also has toasted walnuts, bibb lettuce, crumbled blue cheese , and a fresh made vinagrette made with fresh grated ginger, olive oil, a fruit vinegar, and the other usual stuff--garlic, dijon mustard, salt, fresh ground pepper, pinch of sugar.

Corazon,
The glazed pears should be made with harder pears, they will look better after all the handling.

Bananas release ethylene, which speeds up ripening.
Putting the pears in a paper bag with a soft banana will indeed speed up the process.

Have you ever wrapped them in dough & baked?

Baked pear dumplings

Another salad fan - pears, parmesan (or bleu cheese), pecans or walnuts, (dates or figs) mixed greens, balsamic.

Fill the halves w mascarpone & sprinkle w chocolate shavings.

Add them to a fruit/pretzel/chip platter & dip them in Chocolate Fondue. Serve with a hunk of fresh Parmesan & assorted crackers.

Pan-Roasted Pear Salad with Watercress, Parmesan, and Pecans For Two

Last edited:
Oh, I love pears. Here's an elegant way to use them. Slice them in about 1/4 inch slices, and brush w/ a little olive oil, and grill them until they get those great grill marks on them( sometimes I do it on the outdoor grill, and sometimes right on the stove on the ridged grill, or sometimes quickly on my GF electric grill) Then cool and use to garnish a salad that also has toasted walnuts, bibb lettuce, crumbled blue cheese , and a fresh made vinagrette made with fresh grated ginger, olive oil, a fruit vinegar, and the other usual stuff--garlic, dijon mustard, salt, fresh ground pepper, pinch of sugar.
Cocoa nibs would be good thrown in there too. I may have to try out these grilled pears when dh is working.

I use a TNT recipe called "Pear Custard Bars", just google for the recipe.

It has a shortbread type crust with ground nuts that you bake off first. I use ground almonds. The next layer has cream cheese, but I have never used cream cheese, I always use a fresh soft goats' cheese, and considering how good it is with goats' cheese, it would be heavenly with cream cheese. I also add almond extract as well as vanilla extract, just cause the goats' cheese needs the extra flavor. This is topped with pears, cinnamon and something else. This is my favorite dessert to make for company.

I like a simple pear and bleu cheese salad. Use your baby lettuces, make a basic red-wine vinegar dressing. Top everything with a few fresh blueberries. You could even cut up a sauteed chicken breast and toss in too.

Back
Top Bottom