Poblanos, chorizo... don't want to stuff them. Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
I have some poblano peppers and some chorizo sausage, but I'm not in the mood to make rellenos.
Can acquire other ingredients as needed....

Got any ideas?

I have some poblano peppers and some chorizo sausage, but I'm not in the mood to make rellenos.

Got any ideas?

I'm about to make one of my favorite soups using both of those ingredients. It's fairly easy, and so good I make a large amount then freeze in containers so I have it on hand. If you want to make soup, let me know and I'll post the recipe.

You could roast, peel, & slice the Poblanos; cook (or grill) & slice the Chorizo; & then just enjoy both piled into a roll or into taco shells or soft tortillas. Add whatever other "fixings" you like (grilled or sauteed onion, shredded cheese, taco/enchilada sauce or ketchup, etc., etc.

Got any ideas?

Sounds like a great start for a southwestern omelette!

Drama Queen, would you please post your soup recipe? It's starting to cool down a bit here on the east coast and I'm always looking to try a new recipe.
Thanks,
John.

john, I had hash and omelette last night...

What about using the chilis (and more chilis!!) and some garlic and onions to make a "pesto" sauce..
filling some corn tortillas with the sausage, sauce and ??????? ...
Then topping with a cheese sauce and some Rotel tomatoes and chilis...
and into the oven?

john, I had hash and omelette last night...

What about using the chilis (and more chilis!!) and some garlic and onions to make a "pesto" sauce..
filling some corn tortillas with the sausage, sauce and ??????? ...
Then topping with a cheese sauce and some Rotel tomatoes and chilis...
and into the oven?

sausage, sauce, Maybe black beans and corn?

Hmmm, you could make some great quesadillas. You'd need to roast and peel your poblanos, then cut them into strips for the quesadilla. Precook the chorizo, then fill the quesadilla with pepper strips, crumbled or slcied chorizo and cheese. Yum. Or you could use this as the base for a rice dish that I make often. Cook some rice and add your chopped roasted poblanos, garlic, onion, diced carrots, diced tomatoes, cooked chorizo, whatever else you have on hand - maybe even some corn and black beans. Also shrimp if you have some....put some cheese on top if you want. Very good.

So here's what I did. Labor intensive, but I like that.
(When my wife is out of town, I cook.)

Roasted over my gas stove:
3 poblanos
3 green cayennes
4 garlic cloves
2 hatch chilies
1 lg shallot

Let them steam for a while, peeled them down.
Put them in the blender with half a bunch of fresh cilantro,
2 tsp cider vinegar and 2 tbsp cumin or so. Added a splash
of chicken stock, splash of pale ale and dollop of canola oil.
Whirled it down into a pesto type sauce.
I took the seeds and stems out of all the peppers except the
cayennes before whirling.

Browned the chorizo with 3 more garlic cloves and half a white onion.
Tossed in a drained can of black beans and 2 Tbsp oil, lightly mashed
them when they started to pop.. maybe half mashed.
Mixed in the green sauce.
Used this to fill corn tortillas, placed them in a casserole pan.
Whipped up a bechamel sauce, then melted in about 3/4 cup each pepper jack
and extra sharp cheddar.

Poured that over the tortillas and topped it with a drained can of Rotel
tomatoes and chilis. I didn't know there were so few chilies in there, lol!

Baked at 350 till hot and bubbly, sprinkled with some cilantro and it was
good. More sweet than hot, with nice chili flavors.

Ate too much.

I did name it: DINNER!

hahahahahahahhahahaah I made a funny...:ROFLMAO:

Chili cheese chorizo 'chiladas?

How's that for some alliteration! :LOL:

Heck, I'd never get hired to name recipes.

Sounds like a great start for a southwestern omelette!

Drama Queen, would you please post your soup recipe? It's starting to cool down a bit here on the east coast and I'm always looking to try a new recipe.
Thanks,
John.

Here's your recipe. This one gets raves from my family and friends so I entered it into a "Soup and Stew Cookoff." It won first place among 23 other contestants.
This comes with my usual disclaimer: If you change, substitute, delete or add any ingredient, it becomes YOUR recipe and you're on your own.

CHORIZO BEAN RAJAS SOUP Serves 4 - 6

1/2 lb. chorizo sausage sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 Tablespoons olive oil

2 cups chopped seeded poblano chilies
1 lg. finely chopped jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed for less heat

2 cups chopped white onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper (1/2 in. dice)
4 garlic cloves finely minced
3 cans chicken broth or 6 cups homemade
2 cans navy or northern beans drained
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. salt (if using canned broth rethink the salt)

1/2 cup heavy cream mixed with 2 tablespoons sour cream (correction)

1 cup shredded queso chihuahua cheese or Monterery Pepper Jack cheese
4 to 6 Tablespoons sour cream
4 to 6 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Saute chorizo sausage in a skillet just til lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

Heat a Dutch oven with 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add onion, chilis, bell pepper and garlic. Saute 5 minutes on med/low heat then add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chorizo back into the Dutch oven and simmer another 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, add beans, lime juice and cumin. Add the heavy cream/sour cream mixture. Stir and heat through. Off heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Ladle soup into bowls topping each serving with sour cream, Monterey cheese and chopped cilantro.

For a vegetarian version, this soup is just as good without the chorizo sausage.

I'm spending this week making soups and stews to stock in my freezer. With all the talk about the poblano/chorizo soup I decided to make this one today.

I REALLY MESSED UP ON THIS ONE. To anyone who copied the recipe on this thread, I forgot to include adding 1/2 cup heavy cream and 2 Tbsps. sour cream INTO the soup just before serving. Stir well to blend. Then you can top with more sour cream, cilantro, etc. Sorry guys, I can't understand how I missed it. It does make a difference.

I'm spending this week making soups and stews to stock in my freezer. With all the talk about the poblano/chorizo soup I decided to make this one today.

I REALLY MESSED UP ON THIS ONE. To anyone who copied the recipe on this thread, I forgot to include adding 1/2 cup heavy cream and 2 Tbsps. sour cream INTO the soup just before serving. Stir well to blend. Then you can top with more sour cream, cilantro, etc. Sorry guys, I can't understand how I missed it. It does make a difference.

Thanks for the update DQ,
Can you tell us if you use the raw mexican style chorizo, or the smoked spanish style chorizo?
John.

Thanks for the update DQ,
Can you tell us if you use the raw mexican style chorizo, or the smoked spanish style chorizo?
John.

I prefer smoked sausage but it's not always available. In which case I just leave it out. I've never used raw chorizo but you can give it a try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom