Pork chop or Chicken Recipes Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
My kitchen is not available to me because of some remodeling. I have a crock pot and microwave and need some ideas for food I can prepare. We're getting hungry.
Before the mess, I made soup, stuffed peppers and sauce, but they are all gone now. What can I do with pork chops or chicken pieces. I can't use any canned soups in recipes, because my husband is very salt restricted.
Please help.

You could throw the chops in the crock pot with French onion soup mix(if not too much salt in it)or BBQ sauce with a little water added. I've never done chicken in a crockpot so I cant help you there,but I'm sure you'll get a lot of other responses

Frozen chicken and a jar of salsa works great in the crock pot is with very easy and you can wrap the chicken in tortillas and microwave some refried beans.

Chicken breasts, a bottle of non-fat Zesty Italian dressing. Pour over, cook until tender. Serve with pasta that can be cooked in the microwave.

Chicken breasts, a bottle of Ragu. Pour over and let cook until tender. Serve with salad.

Yeah, I know, chicken and I in the crock pot are best friends.

I guess I should clean my contacts or put my readers on. LOL!! I did mean me AND the crock with chicken in it ~ it could have been worse, I could have said I live for chicken in my crock.

I love Chicken Paprikash in the crockpot. Google that and you will find many recipes for it. I am making it next week. Here's one for the crock Slow Cooker Chicken

Some recipes include dumplings, but I just serve it over noodles.
Or some kind of pasta: basic pasta recipe | microwave recipes | pasta recipes

This looks like a good crockpot recipe for pork chops. THis I would definitely serve over rice. Joan's Slow Cooker Pork Chops

Or, you can make rice in the microwave: mine cooks 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, a dash of salt for 5 minutes on high and 11 1/2 minutes on medium.

Lee

I use my microwave extensively, esp for vegetables.

One of my quickest and healthiest dishes is a tuna and bean potato bake.

I slice enough potatoes to line and top a casserole dish and zap them till they are parcooked. (I don't peel my potatoes, but that's is personal preference.)

Line the casserole dish with enough of the potato slices to cover the bottom in au gratin style. In a bowl, mix a large can (or more) of butter beans with a large can of tuna (in springwater or brine but not oil), diced onion, diced tomato and a decent amount of tomato paste. Add your choice of herbs and seasonings at this point. Spread this mixture over the potato layer. You want it thick enough so that you feel you have eaten a meal but not so thick that it doesn't heat thru. Top with the rest of the potato in the same manner as the base. Top with grated tasty cheese and paprika. As everything is cooked or parcooked, you only need to use your reheat setting. The cheese should be melted and the potato cooked thru. (If you are so inclined you can pour cream over the potatoes before the grated cheese.)

This is actually a good "clean out the fridge" recipe as you can substitute any left over vegetables or cooked meat into this dish. Or you can just use vegetables for a vegetarian alternative.

Last edited:
Vegetables in aioli is also tasty. Cut your choice of vegetables into bite size chunks and zap them either individually or in batches of similar cooking times (eg don't zap carrots and pumpkin at the same time as pumpkin cooks quicker). I usually cook mine in a splash of water, a dusting of salt and pepper and maybe a bit of garlic. You want the veges to be cooked fully but not too soft. While warm, mix in a tablespoon or two of aioli thru the mixed veges. If you do this while warm, you don't need as much aioli. Instead of aioli, you could try pesto.

Don't forget nachos. You can always add some shredded take-away chicken thru them as well.

Smoked cod and salmon fillets poach well in the microwave.

You can cook scrambled and poached eggs in the microwave as well.

stuff a spud by cooking the spud in its jacket in the m/w. Just prick the skin all over lightly with a fork to stop it exploding. Cook for a couple of minutes on one side then turn over and cook until done. Vary times based on size and quantity of potatoes.

If you can cook up some savory mince in the crock pot, you can make a mock lasagne in the microwave just using slightly stale bread instead of pasta sheets and cream instead of white sauce. Just layer it like you normally would. Again, as the ingredients are already cooked or at least in an edible state, you are only heating it up until the cheese melts.

So many good ideas!!!
Thank you all so much.
My kitchen will not be finished for at least another week. It is really starting to upset me. I guess it will be worth it when it's finished.

Did your microwave come with an instruction booklet? They are usually full of cooking methods and recipes. Just remember that things can over cook in a microwave so care with times is needed.

Back
Top Bottom