"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #21
Senior Cook

What does iso stand for

Old 12-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

In Search Of

If you include that in the title, bat signals go up and people start the scavenger hunt.

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Here's a list of abbreviations used in this forum: Frequently Asked Questions
Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Devon Potato cake (County of Devon, south-west GB)

Potatoes have always been a major source of carbohydrate in the UK. These 3 recipes show the manner in which they were used as part of the modest working man.

Recipe 1

Devon Potato Cakes

6oz plain flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder (raising agent)
2 oz butter (Devon cows have always been the best ones for producing top quality dairy produce)
6oz mashed potatoes - of the floury type
4oz brown sugar
1/2lb currants
1/2 tsp caraway seeds - optional, not everybody likes them
2 eggs

Oven set at 400 F
Time: 30 minutes

Sift the flour with the spices and baking powder, rub in the butter and add the potato mash sugar, currants and caraway seeds
Add the beaten egg and mix wel; pour the mixture into a well-greased 1-2 in deep baking tin and bake. Once cooked, cut into squares whilst still hot, and serve.

This woud be served either mid-morning or mid-afternoon

Potato Apple Cakes Ireland

These were, and in many areas now encompassing the whole of Ireland and the United Kingdom. The tradition of serving them at Halloween has been resuscitated again.

1lb cold cooked potatoes, i.e. weighed without skin
1oz melted butter
4oz flour
1oz salt
4oz flour or fine oatmeal
1tsp baking powder
1lb peeled sliced and cored apples
4oz sugar
1 oz butter

Mash the cooked potatoes and mix in the melted butter and salt.
Sift the flour with the baking powder and work into the potatoes to make a pliable dough.
Roll the mixture out to a large round, about 1/2 inches thick. Next, cut into quarters and pile the apple mixture on two of the quarters. Top with one each of the remaining quarters, and pinch around the edges to seal firmly.

Bake on a hot griddle until brown on each side. Slice each cake along the rounded edge and turn the top back. Cover the apples with thin slices of butter. Sprinkle with sugar, replace the lid and bake in the oven until the sugar and butter have melted. Cool but keep them warm before eating.

These recipes are very nice in winter, easy to make, ecamonical, and very, very moreish.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Here is the missing recipe n. 3!

Potato Scones Ireland

The Potato Oaten Oatcakes or Pratie Oaten from Antrim are similar to the other recipes in that these use oatmeal instead of flour.

1/2 lb cooked cold potatoes.
1/2 oz melted butter
12 tsp salt
2 oz fine oatmeal.

Mash the cold potatoes and add the melted butter and salt. Work into the mixture as much oatmeal - or flour and baking powder as will make a pliable dough.
Roll out the mixture thinly and prick with a fork. Cut into circles round a plate, then cut into quarters and bake on a griddle for 3 minutes on each side. Serve hot or cold, with butter.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 01-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Devon Potato cake (County of Devon, south-west GB)

Potatoes have always been a major source of carbohydrate in the UK. These 3 recipes show the manner in which they were used as part of the modest working man.

Recipe 1

Devon Potato Cakes

6oz plain flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder (raising agent)
2 oz butter (Devon cows have always been the best ones for producing top quality dairy produce)
6oz mashed potatoes - of the floury type
4oz brown sugar
1/2lb currants
1/2 tsp caraway seeds - optional, not everybody likes them
2 eggs

Oven set at 400 F
Time: 30 minutes

Sift the flour with the spices and baking powder, rub in the butter and add the potato mash sugar, currants and caraway seeds
Add the beaten egg and mix wel; pour the mixture into a well-greased 1-2 in deep baking tin and bake. Once cooked, cut into squares whilst still hot, and serve.

This woud be served either mid-morning or mid-afternoon

Potato Apple Cakes Ireland

These were, and in many areas now encompassing the whole of Ireland and the United Kingdom. The tradition of serving them at Halloween has been resuscitated again.

1lb cold cooked potatoes, i.e. weighed without skin
1oz melted butter
4oz flour
1oz salt
4oz flour or fine oatmeal
1tsp baking powder
1lb peeled sliced and cored apples
4oz sugar
1 oz butter

Mash the cooked potatoes and mix in the melted butter and salt.
Sift the flour with the baking powder and work into the potatoes to make a pliable dough.
Roll the mixture out to a large round, about 1/2 inches thick. Next, cut into quarters and pile the apple mixture on two of the quarters. Top with one each of the remaining quarters, and pinch around the edges to seal firmly.

Bake on a hot griddle until brown on each side. Slice each cake along the rounded edge and turn the top back. Cover the apples with thin slices of butter. Sprinkle with sugar, replace the lid and bake in the oven until the sugar and butter have melted. Cool but keep them warm before eating.

These recipes are very nice in winter, easy to make, ecamonical, and very, very moreish.
Hi, di. Flour is mentioned twice in the Potato Apple Cakes recipe. Is 8 oz. the correct amount?
Old 01-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi, di. Flour is mentioned twice in the Potato Apple Cakes recipe. Is 8 oz. the correct amount?
I noticed that too. I think it's 4 oz. flour plus either 4 oz. flour or 4 oz. fine oatmeal.

Now we need to find out what fine oatmeal is. I wonder if it is ground up oatmeal.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
For a skating party, I'd consider baked potatoes and a pot of chili to ladle on top. A few toppers-- green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream.
I love a chili-loaded potato. I make mine the exact same way.

CD
Old 01-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #29
Executive Chef

BTW, for those interested in such things, I have found that 210 degrees F internal temperature is ideal for a baked potato. I use my wired probe thermometer. If I am baking more than one potato, I pick potatoes that are very close in size, and put the probe in one of them.

Oh, and poke holes in your raw potato before baking. Don't ask how I learned that lesson.

CD
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Hi folks! Yet again, my efforts also include errors!

Corrections:

Devon Potato Cake

6 oz flour
6 oz mashed potatoes. Some potatoes are more floury than others, which we refer to as being 'waxy'. You need the floury type for this recipe.

Potato Apple cakes:

1 lb cold cooked and mashed potatoes
4oz either flour or fine oatmeal.

Oatmeal is the flour produced by milling oats down to a fairly fine flour. It's extensively used in Scotland and Ireland as it grows successfully in those climates and is very economical. The flavour adds another dimension to these very traditional and simple cakes.

All material from the book "British Cookery" edited by Lizzie Boyd in 1976.

The cakes referred to are what I call 'very homely.' because the way of serving them is popularly toasting them.

di reston

Enough is never as good as as feast Oscar Wilde

Tags
potato, potatoes