"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Re-using Bitter Vegetable Pie?!

Hi, All.

I've made a simple Vegetable Pie (onion, green squash, carrot, flour, eggs, sour cream), however for some stupid reason I DIDN'T COOK THE ONION*.

The pie came out - how surprising - VERY BITTER. Sort of not edible...

Now, I know how to re-use unsuccessful cake or dry chicken or "old" rice or stale cookies... But how can you re-use a bitter vegetable pie?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

* What's the reason, you ask? Well, accidentally I forgot to take out the food processor's knife while using its slicing disk. So, I've got something similar to onion juice which was non-cookable, but I still decided to use it in the pie...

chefathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Is the onion taste in the filling or the pie crust?

If it's in the crust then easy, just take the filling out and throw the crust for the birds.

If it's in the filling, then try to re-cook it and add any herbs you like, spread it in a ceramic bakingware, pour over any white sauce you have, bechamel or heavy cream and cook them in the oven.

Or you can use that filling to fill a chicken and roast it.

Or just adjust the filling to your taste and eat it with bread,e ither use a baguette and make an appetizer. Or just some toasted bread of any kind.
"Men. Heh. They just have to destroy everything."
Number 18 is offline   Reply With Quote