Roast beef: tender on reheat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saturned

Assistant Cook
I had cooked a roast beef on Sunday, with plenty left over...since that time, I attempted to reheat with a jar of gravy and a can of Progresso beef stew, heated in the oven @ 350 degrees, of course the meat turned into shoe leather...is there any way at this point that I can cook the remaining beef down to like a pot-roast consistency, or will it just continue to get tougher and tougher????:glare:

I would think that if you cut it into cubes and braised it in a pan with your liquid on a hot plate it will soften, I have not tried this as I like to mince it for Cottage pie or eat it in a sandwich with horseradish.

A week or two ago I had a tough eye of round roast.

I put it in a casserole dish with about 1/2" of water, lay a slab of fat on top (trimmed from another roast, pork I think).

I then covered the casserole dish with foil and cooked it a couple more hours at 325. It came out so tender that I was able to shred the meat with just a fork.

Another DCer suggested a temperature of 275, but I had already done it at 325.

I had just happened to save the fat trimming, but I'm sure some fatty bacon would do nicely.

Last edited:
The fat would be yummy but is not necessary. Water alone would do the trick but some nice tomatoe sauce would be better or even some beef stock or just throw some onions, carrots and celery in the water with some herbs and let it braise low and slow.

I vacumm seal leftover steaks or roast beef and reheat in the bag in water to desired temp.

The steaks are as good as the day they were grilled.

When we reheat roast beef, we slice it very thin, cover it in your cooking liquid, I usually use watered down gravy, then cover the pan, heat it in the oven on a lower temp like 275-300 for about an hour. Then I serve it with some normal gravy...

Back
Top Bottom