SALT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watch my sodium intake very carefully Charlie, as it makes me retain water like crazy and the more I eat it, the more I crave it - ie. chips, dips, etc. that are not so good for you. We are used to no salt or low salt, fresh cooking and it suits our tastebuds just fine :) These days there is sodium in everything... my cooking survives without it :) I actually find that once you get used to not salting everything (I never did salt everything anyway) I taste the freshness of the ingredients more vividly, which I love. The only time I use salt to "cook" is to brine my salmon before smoking it.

I'm sure there's a science behind this that someone knows, but I recently read in a thread that a little salt enhances flavors. It might have been brownie icing that I was reading about, something I never would have thought to add a little salt to.
Just wondering (aloud) if a little salt is better than no salt for flavors... aside from the water retention thing.

lol, robo. if you had enough, you could dig a hole in the ground, put the salt in it, and come back many years later and it would probably be good enough to use. depending on how much was dissolved by water, of course.

it is an edible rock when you come to think of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom