SALT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Hey all,
I have been doing some spring cleaning today and discovered :ohmy: that I somehow accumulated about 3 boxes of kosher salt - I don't even salt my food, where did they come from lol.

Anywho, looking for some household uses, like cleaning etc. that you could all pass along! Certainly not looking to make something with all of this salt - YUCK! :stuart:

Thanks!!
xo
Saph

Heck, I just asked my husband if he had any ideas, and he asked where you were from. His reply? Sprinkle it on your sidewalks this winter!

Make a batch of salt potatoes for your next cookout. Take four or five pounds of small marble/ golf ball sized potatoes and cook them in water containing a pound of salt until tender. Drain them and serve with melted butter. When the potatoes are drained a salt crust will form on the skin of the potato. Do not use less than a pound of salt. These are a staple item at clambakes in my area and they are great!

Salt your pasta water.

Salt crusted baked fish (the salt comes off and does NOT make the fish salty.) Watch the Alton Brown video about this.

Salt crusted baked fish (the salt comes off and does NOT make the fish salty.) Watch the Alton Brown video about this.

That is what I was thinking. I saw The Two Fat Ladies to a salt encrusted sea bass last night.

Selkie said:
Salt your pasta water.

I've seen this and it looks yummy and uses a lot of salt. Jamie Oliver did one recently.

Pickles, sauerkraut. People cook/bbq on large blocks of salt, is there a way to melt it down and make a salt block, or put it in a pan and cook whatever on it? Salt lick for the deer. Stick your oysters on a bed of salt in their shells, it holds heat/cold.

Last edited:
There is some salt crusted steaks and roasts, too. The idea is that the salt gets absorbed, then releases back out. I think it's called dry brining.

I use salt to clean my CI skillet or DO with if there's some crust stuck on it. Salt and a paper towel makes a good abrasive (dry). Some people use this method, some don't, but it works well for me.

I've never had salt go bad, so if you have the room to store it, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to use it all up. You just won't have to buy any for a really long time...

I've seen this and it looks yummy and uses a lot of salt. Pickles, sauerkraut. People cook/bbq on large blocks of salt, is there a way to melt it down and make a salt block? Salt lick for the deer.[/QUOTE]

Ya put it in an old sock and tie it to a tree but, don't let the conservation officer catch ya!

THanks for the suggestions guys!

Salting the sidewalks in the winter, I can see, and I have used it for that! Problem is I don't want to hold onto these boxes till next winter!:LOL:

Anything not food related is great.. I am really not interested in "cooking with salt", but thanks everyone.

Use it in a crystal vase to hold a silk flower.

Wrap it with linen and place in a drawer to absorb moisture.

Use it to scrub dirty pots.

I use salt for cleaning in my kitchen. Works well as a mild abrasive on cutting boards and counter tops and in cleaning pots and pans.

How come you do not salt you food? Interesting. Salt is good for you. Well your body needs salt. Really wondering. Sorry no sugeastions on salt use. Well maybe teeth brushing, removes pluck(sp?).

I watch my sodium intake very carefully Charlie, as it makes me retain water like crazy and the more I eat it, the more I crave it - ie. chips, dips, etc. that are not so good for you. We are used to no salt or low salt, fresh cooking and it suits our tastebuds just fine :) These days there is sodium in everything... my cooking survives without it :) I actually find that once you get used to not salting everything (I never did salt everything anyway) I taste the freshness of the ingredients more vividly, which I love. The only time I use salt to "cook" is to brine my salmon before smoking it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom