"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Head Chef

SALT

Hey all,
I have been doing some spring cleaning today and discovered that I somehow accumulated about 3 boxes of kosher salt - I don't even salt my food, where did they come from lol.

Anywho, looking for some household uses, like cleaning etc. that you could all pass along! Certainly not looking to make something with all of this salt - YUCK!

Thanks!!
xo
Saph

Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

Salt plus vinegar will clean brass and copper.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Master Chef

Heck, I just asked my husband if he had any ideas, and he asked where you were from. His reply? Sprinkle it on your sidewalks this winter!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Make a batch of salt potatoes for your next cookout. Take four or five pounds of small marble/ golf ball sized potatoes and cook them in water containing a pound of salt until tender. Drain them and serve with melted butter. When the potatoes are drained a salt crust will form on the skin of the potato. Do not use less than a pound of salt. These are a staple item at clambakes in my area and they are great!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Salt your pasta water.

Salt crusted baked fish (the salt comes off and does NOT make the fish salty.) Watch the Alton Brown video about this.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post

Salt crusted baked fish (the salt comes off and does NOT make the fish salty.) Watch the Alton Brown video about this.
That is what I was thinking. I saw The Two Fat Ladies to a salt encrusted sea bass last night.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie
Salt your pasta water.

I've seen this and it looks yummy and uses a lot of salt. Jamie Oliver did one recently.

Pickles, sauerkraut. People cook/bbq on large blocks of salt, is there a way to melt it down and make a salt block, or put it in a pan and cook whatever on it? Salt lick for the deer. Stick your oysters on a bed of salt in their shells, it holds heat/cold.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

There is some salt crusted steaks and roasts, too. The idea is that the salt gets absorbed, then releases back out. I think it's called dry brining.

I use salt to clean my CI skillet or DO with if there's some crust stuck on it. Salt and a paper towel makes a good abrasive (dry). Some people use this method, some don't, but it works well for me.

I've never had salt go bad, so if you have the room to store it, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to use it all up. You just won't have to buy any for a really long time...
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

[QUOTE=Dawgluver;1003292]I've seen this and it looks yummy and uses a lot of salt. Pickles, sauerkraut. People cook/bbq on large blocks of salt, is there a way to melt it down and make a salt block? Salt lick for the deer.[/QUOTE]

Ya put it in an old sock and tie it to a tree but, don't let the conservation officer catch ya!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Head Chef

If you have issues with fleas, you can use salt (instead of nasty chemicals) to get rid of them.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt