Snack time!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I was reading and posting about the smoked mackerel and then read about pasta, shrimp and strawberries and I decided it was time to see what I could find in the 'fridge.
Now I often use leftovers in what Mrs Hoot says are "weird" combinations, to put it politely. Some turn out good, others not so much.
In the 'fridge I find some leftover tossed salad, and some pasta from last night's dinner. (We were expecting a crowd...but we ended up with a crowd of one guest. So we have some extra stuff left over.)
I sautéed some of the tossed salad (lettuce, tomato wedges and onions) in some olive oil....
Added some chipotle powder, a few drops of fish sauce, a generous amount of cayenne hot sauce.Threw in some of the pasta and a little feta cheese, for good measure. Stirred it around for a few minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. And it turned out mighty good!
Mrs Hoot just looked at me sideways, like she does from time to time and said, "It's a wonder your stomach doesn't stage a revolt!" :LOL:

Hoot,

I am pleased my tagliatelli, strawberries and shrimp recipe has inspired such a fun post to begin ...

Have fun ... I am curious what some of the other members shall come up with too.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Black beans, salsa, and cheese in a whole wheat tortilla. Yum!

Just discovered Hawkins hard cheesies dipped into Queso cheese sauce! Better than tortilla chips! YUMMMMM! :)

extra sharp cheddar, dollop of spicy mustard, and chopped raw onion on a rustic wheat cracker.

great with an ice cold beer.

LPBeier said:
Just discovered Hawkins hard cheesies dipped into Queso cheese sauce! Better than tortilla chips! YUMMMMM! :)

Oh!!! I need to try this!

Oh, I have another...peppered smoked salmon on crackers! One of my favorite snacks!

Ruffles Sour Cream and Onion Chips, dipped in cottage cheese. Sheer bliss.....I could live on them.

Now that sounds just right...mebbe a few smoked oysters on the side.

i've never had smoked oysters, but it sounds good.

give this a try.

i thought it was a weird invention of my dad when i was a kid, but when i was old enough i saw it offered as appetizers in several irish joints here in nyc, and eventually in belfast and other cities, so i came to realize it's an irish pub favourite that goez great with a myriad of cold beers.

Last edited:
Snacks in Puglia

Buon Giorno,

Cool post ...

Some of my favorite savory snacks when in Puglia, Italia are:

1. capers, olives and Paté or Terrine combining veal & pork
2. sun dried tomato bread and Evoo
3. anchovies & pomodoro ( red ripe tomato ) on canapé
4. Lay´s potato chips with sundried tomatoes and a drizzle of the Evoo that comes from the sundried tomatoes in jar & dipped in Home made Ricotta ...
5. Proscuitto di Parma wrapped around a slice of Juicy Green Melon
6. crudities: celery match sticks, fennel match sticks, cherry tomatoes, and Radicchio Magenta red violet lettuce served with Fresh sweet Gorgonzola at room temperature, providing the dip like creaminess.
7. fresh clams off half shell with lemon and a fresh Matara, Basilicata chili pepper or dried red cayenne flakes
8. fresh oysters off half shell ... nothing but a Prosecco shall do here or a glass of Cava or Champagne for us ...
9. grilled shrimp drizzled with Evoo, Cayenne and garlic with a piquant dip
10. Provoletta: melted herbed spiced provolone in a clay earthenware with shallot or spring onion, red bell diced finely and green bell ... Oven melt and serve with a loaf of Italian style Baguette.
11. BREAD, EVOO AND SEA SALT ... ( SIMPLE PLEASURES ARE THE BEST )
12. The Mediterranean Trilogy: wine, bread and cheese; we are cheese-aholics; except orange rind, orange or münster varieties ... All Mediterranean cheeses, French, Greek, Italian, 98% of the Spanish home farmed goat cheeses with herbal or La Vera Cayenne Smoked Paprika rinds
and a good aged Gruyère from Switzerland ...
13. A piece of pure Cacoa ...
14. an espresso with a black chocolate truffle filled with Rose ganache
15. Sweet tooth Call: tiramisù with Espresso and Marsala

I do not have much of an affinity for sweets, however, the Vet and his buddies love my Maternal side of the family cakes, and cookies, and he takes them to the Vet Lab Offices for his team ... This is one of the only reasons I bake fairly often, for the Team and Ranchers ... They are truly a cool group of animal lovers ...

There was a snack, using cottage cheese; this does not exist here in the Mediterranean, we use Ricotta as a sub. Potato chips with dip, in general I like potato chips in Spain with Fresh marinated Anchovies with Evoo and Garlic Marinade on mine ... This tapa is called: Boquerones en Maceración and it is served with Lays Potato chips ...

Ciao, and thanks for some interesting
ideas.
Have lovely Tuesday,
Margaux Cintrano.

buckytom said:
i've never had smoked oysters, but it sounds good.

What?!?

They're wonderful, especially the little ones. Smoked baby clams are also delish. I eat them straight out of the tin with a toothpick. I don't drain the oil.

I've only had the canned ones, would love to try home smoked, but we can't get the fresh ones here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom