Snow pea pods.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I was cooking last Friday and asked the person who was doing shopping to get a pound or so of snow pee pods for won ton soup (my recipe). Well instead he got a whole box of it from restaurant supply place. I have no clue what to do with it. Any ideas?

As you probably already know, they have a stem/string that should be removed. Just take a paring knife and grab the stem between the knife and your them and pull. It will come right off. After that you can just throw them into the salad as it or you could cut them in half if you want.

A Chinese restaurant down the street makes a really good Wonton soup. The julienne pea pods and put those in the soup. It adds a great flavor without having to eat a whole huge pod.

I agree with all of the suggestions and can add one more. I often make a beef and broccoli style stir fry substituting the pods for the broccoli. Everything else can remain the same.

Hm, I kind of like the beef idea. But still, I have a huge case if the stuff. I probably will freeze it.

I agree with all of the suggestions and can add one more. I often make a beef and broccoli style stir fry substituting the pods for the broccoli. Everything else can remain the same.

Hm, I kind of like the beef idea. But still, I have a huge case if the stuff. I probably will freeze it.

I love beef and peapods! Chicken and peapods, shrimp and peapods in lobstersauce...

Can you tell I am a fan of peapods? Send me the rest, I'll eat em!!

Frankly, I never bother to string them anymore. Haven't found it necessary with the new varieties grown these days. Way back when Snow Peas were first becoming available fresh, they did have very tough strings - almost like shell peas. But these days, there's hardly anything there. I'd taste-test a few before going to all the trouble of stringing a whole box full.

A pound is a LOT of Snow Peas! The supermarkets do sell them loose, an ounce at a time.

When making Won Ton Soup, I don't bother removing the "string", but I do trim off the ends and then cut them to bite-size length.

Back
Top Bottom