"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I better leave it out, there's already plenty of chance that the kids wont eat it, no need to give them another reason!
Use it as a condiment don't put in beans but put in your bowl of beans a few drops at a time until you know how much you like in your beans. That way everybody is happy.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
No, it's not hotter than Tabasco - at least not to my taste buds. It's just, as you said, different.

In fact, I'm not a fan of Tabasco either. I find it to be virtually all heat & no taste.

While I do enjoy experimenting with different bottles of artisinal-type hot sauces, my mainstays for cooking are Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce & Asian Chili-Garlic paste (which is really more of a very thick sauce than a paste).

I'm like you. I must have 20 bottles of hot sauce in the fridge. I like my own red habernaro sauce the best. My homemade Inner Beuty is second. As an everyday sauce I prefer Crystal because it's more taste than heat. Also dig Jump Up and Kiss Me sauces.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I use Tabasco for some cooking but as far as hot sauce goes I love The Cholula hot Sauce.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
Master Chef

Is Cholula the one with the little wooden cap? If so, that's one of my favorites as well. In fact, one of the local IHOP restaurants used to have it - along with Tabasco - on their tables at all times. Unfortunately, they're now back to just Tabasco, but that's better than nothing if one enjoys hot sauce on their breakfast eggs - lol!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Is Cholula the one with the little wooden cap? If so, that's one of my favorites as well. In fact, one of the local IHOP restaurants used to have it - along with Tabasco - on their tables at all times. Unfortunately, they're now back to just Tabasco, but that's better than nothing if one enjoys hot sauce on their breakfast eggs - lol!
Yep, thats the one not too hot but nice flavor. The first time I tried it I went thru 1/2 bottle on my tacos I made at home.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Yep, thats the one not too hot but nice flavor. The first time I tried it I went thru 1/2 bottle on my tacos I made at home.
That's one of my favs too - first time I had it it was served with some fish tacos w/pineapple salsa - YUM!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #27
Master Chef

I don't like Cholula because it has some kind of starch added. Tastes muddy to me.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I don't like Cholula because it has some kind of starch added. Tastes muddy to me.
Really? I liked that one because it wasn't just hot - but I certainly understand the "muddy" aspect. I just haven't tried a bunch of hot sauces to have figured that out. I must get to one of those hot sauce shops!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Well I put a little in my serving of red beans and rice w/ sausage. A teeny bit.
It was very good! I'm very glad to have leftovers today!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

heya guys, cholula is just one of the brands with a wooden cap. goya also makes a line of bottles like that, called their "salsita" hot sauces. i like their smokey ancho chili sauce. great for stuff that you might have added liquid smoke, like chilli.

and i've seen a few other brands at craft festivals with similar caps.

also, when it comes to sriracha sauce, make sure you're getting the real stuff from huy fong foods. it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle with a green cap, or sometimes in a similar jar, with the famous rooster stencilled on the bottle. Sriracha

this stuff:

i was in an asian market the other day and noticed that there were several brands of sriracha hot sauce. i haven't tried the others, but this is the crack of which we speak.

this thread inspired me to run out at 10 o'clock last night and grab a coupla slices, then topped them with raw onions and sriracha. it was so good that i squirted an extra shot right into my mouth.

i'm paying for that today...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote