"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Thats the one!
So far so good, the rooster has done me no harm.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #32
Head Chef

Frank's... good stuff!
Sriracha... I often just take a hit when I pass the fridge.
Tabasco... boring. Their chipotle isn't bad, though.

(I am also finding myself eating the little "Holland" or "cayenne"
peppers from the Asian market plain too. They make me hiccup.)

Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Really? I liked that one because it wasn't just hot - but I certainly understand the "muddy" aspect. I just haven't tried a bunch of hot sauces to have figured that out. I must get to one of those hot sauce shops!
These are Cholula's ingredients: Ingredients : Vinegar, Red Peppers, Piquin Peppers, Salt, Spices, Edible Food Stabilizer and 0.1% Sodium Benzoate

It's the edible food stabilizer. You hardly ever see that in hot sauces (or at least the ones I use). I think Cholula tastes "off."
Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
These are Cholula's ingredients: Ingredients : Vinegar, Red Peppers, Piquin Peppers, Salt, Spices, Edible Food Stabilizer and 0.1% Sodium Benzoate

It's the edible food stabilizer. You hardly ever see that in hot sauces (or at least the ones I use). I think Cholula tastes "off."
It's like when I ask some of my friends how they can eat certain things because all I taste is preservatives. They have no idea what I'm talking about! I will pay attention and start my search for the perfect hot sauce with medium-type heat and lots of flavor!

Thanks for the hot sauce lesson jenny - hot sauce is not something I would at the ingredients for "hidden" things like food stabilizers.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
It's like when I ask some of my friends how they can eat certain things because all I taste is preservatives. They have no idea what I'm talking about! I will pay attention and start my search for the perfect hot sauce with medium-type heat and lots of flavor!
I totally understand.

Crystal fits the bill for me in that regard.

And Sriracha if I want a more assertive flavor.

There are restaurants that have tons of difft. kinds of sauce available for sampling. There is one in NYC that we go to a lot that has maybe 60 or 70 difft bottles out for you to try. One night we tried them all and found a few new favorites, including Iguana.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I use it on everything too.

Instead of Franks for chicken wings.

I once read a post that said "Sriracha: Condiment or Crack?" It IS addictive.
ugh... we Buffalonians are hurt LOL chicken wings aren't chicken wings without franks!
I am interested in finding Siracha it sounds good...but you can't replace the franks for chicken wings...
I don't use franks for everything...generally chillis and stuff like that...my eggs, homefries. But... chicken wings...mmmh...
LOL

(just having fun btw)
Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #37
Master Chef

Yup - "Huy Fong" aka "The Rooster", is my brand of choice for Asian hot sauces. I'm NEVER without a jar of their Chili paste &/or Chili-Garlic paste in my fridge to spice up a quicky ramen noodle lunch or a dinner stirfry. Have been buying it for, Lord, must be closing on 30 years now. Used to come in glass jars only; now they've switched to plastic. Also used to have to get it from specialty Asian markets - now nearly all our local supermarkets carry it.

And, in fact, it's their Sriracha sauce that is still residing - unopened - in my pantry.

And Tdi - I completely agree with you about Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce. Basic "Buffalo Wings" wouldn't be "Buffalo Wings" without it!!!!!! I always have a bottle or two of that around.