Sriracha??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Another post got me to thinking. I bought a bottle, didn't use it. What can I do with it!!
Keep in mind I have small children, they don't like anything that has even been near anything spicy. (Hospital gave me the wrong baby all 3 times):angel:

Can I do anything as a meal or do I need to make things making it PB&J night for the kids?

Do NOT use this in anything your children will be eating! It is a condiment and can be an ingredient - but not with kids! If you like like ahi tuna it a great condiment to serve with that. Also, I a bit of it in sesame udon noodles or buckwheat noodles (among other ingredients i.e., sesame oil, sesame seed, spring onion, lime, cilantro, a bit of soy sauce and even a bit of beef broth).

Sriracha is a Southeast Asian hot sauce - like Tabasco is a South Lousiana hot sauce. And, used either as a comdiment or cooking ingredient, like Tabasco sauce.

Yeah - I wouldn't use it for kids or anyone who doesn't like anything "spicy".

You can use it anywhere you would use Tabasco sauce ...

Well hopefully it keeps awhile. I bought the big bottle. Only $3 but I don't like to waste!

It is nice to finish most asian/pacific rim soups(pho) with. I love the stuff and use it more then tabasco, or hot sauce(like water to me).

For seafood, like said, goes GREAT with Ahi, I like it with most sushi, hard call what I like more the wasabi or sriracha.

One of my favorites, steamed dumplings, tossed into a ripping hot wok, sriracha, chicken stock, bok choy, let the greens wilt and serve. YUM!

It is strong, it is pungent, I would keep it away from the kids...until they are older and like a good prank.

A tiny bit will bring out a lot of flavor in meat soups, stews, it will add a spark to chile
and it will last forever, I use severl bottles a year real good stuff

I love the stuff!
And (well, maybe because we are from Hungary...) my kids ate hot stuff all their lives.
Not to say you should feed this to your kids , if they are not used to hot things.

I use it as a condiment on/with EVERYTHING!
Do not like Tabasco (too acidy to my taste), but this is more chile taste, love it.
On chili, any Mexican or any Asian food it is great with.
It is not only hot it has good taste too.

I use it on everything too.

In tuna salad. In tomato soup. In salad dressing. As a riff on Spanish red potatoes, etc.

Instead of Franks for chicken wings.

I once read a post that said "Sriracha: Condiment or Crack?" :LOL: It IS addictive.

don't forget pizza! it's great, especially with some chopped raw onions.

or in a meatloaf, or burgers.

and of course it's good on chinese food, like lo mein or chow fun.

and it is hot sauce crack. you know you're getting desensitized when you can sip it straight up.

Last edited:
I've had a large bottle of it in my pantry for over a year now. Bought it before I tasted it in a restaurant & didn't really care for it there. It had - at least to me - a slightly sweet aftertaste to it, so I never bothered cracking open the bottle I had at home.

Don't get me wrong - I ADORE spicy & VERY spicy food, but really like artisinal hot pepper sauces in Spanish/Mexican dishes, & my old standby - Chili-Garlic Sauce - in my Asian dishes.

After reading this, maybe I should finally crack it open & give it another chance.

I do not like Sriacha either Breezy. I just don't like the flavor. I love hot stuff, but this one just isn't for me. Franks is another one that lots love, but I do not like.

So if I stuck a tsp in my crockpot full of red beans & sausage & stuff instead of tabasco would it be too hot? I tasted a little straight. It's yummy...... right before your tongue falls out.

So if I stuck a tsp in my crockpot full of red beans & sausage & stuff instead of tabasco would it be too hot? I tasted a little straight. It's yummy...... right before your tongue falls out.
Maybe 1/2 tsp. to start. I think it would be wonderful but as this thread illustrates, not everyone likes the taste.

I better leave it out, there's already plenty of chance that the kids wont eat it, no need to give them another reason!

No, it's not hotter than Tabasco - at least not to my taste buds. It's just, as you said, different.

In fact, I'm not a fan of Tabasco either. I find it to be virtually all heat & no taste.

While I do enjoy experimenting with different bottles of artisinal-type hot sauces, my mainstays for cooking are Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce & Asian Chili-Garlic paste (which is really more of a very thick sauce than a paste).

Back
Top Bottom