Steak Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt and pepper, mesquite wood chips on the BBQ (summer cooking). Nothing else needed. I bought this steak rub and it completely overpowered the steak taste with too many herbs. Just awful.

Last edited:
I use Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice for lots of things at work. Gravy, soups, we offer it on the steaks we sell out of the meat counter if people want it. I'd say 50% of people say yes...

Looks like good stuff that I might try, only, it's expensive getting it shipped from Canada via Walmart. The smaller bottle is $4.97. With shipping and handling it comes to $17.00! I'll see if I can get it cheaper. I don't really need the bigger size from Amazon, it's about $15 without shipping. I wonder how it compares to McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. I thought I read somewhere that Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice is also made by McCormick's. Same stuff?

Last edited:
Looks like good stuff that I might try, only, it's expensive getting it shipped from Canada via Walmart. The smaller bottle is $4.97. With shipping and handling it comes to $17.00! I'll see if I can get it cheaper. I don't really need the bigger size from Amazon, it's about $15 without shipping. I wonder how it compares to McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. I thought I read somewhere that Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice is also made by McCormick's. Same stuff?
I can try and send you some...It will probably cost just as much by the time it gets to you...lol

Unless we get a high-end steak from the butcher who raises his own cattle, processes it, and has it hanging in the cooler around back from his stainless steel cutting table (yes, we have one of those guys a couple of towns over), I'll usually use McC's Montreal Steak seasoning or The Spice House's Back of the Yards seasoning. I have no fear of the flavor overpowering the flavor of the steak because I apply it sparingly. Just a whisper of flavor, not a bash over the taste buds.

Unless we get a high-end steak from the butcher who raises his own cattle, processes it, and has it hanging in the cooler around back from his stainless steel cutting table (yes, we have one of those guys a couple of towns over), I'll usually use McC's Montreal Steak seasoning or The Spice House's Back of the Yards seasoning. I have no fear of the flavor overpowering the flavor of the steak because I apply it sparingly. Just a whisper of flavor, not a bash over the taste buds.

It is called a rub for a good reason. Tossing handfuls of the rub only gives you the taste of handfuls of flavor of the rub. Not the meat. :angel:

When grilling meats (summertime bbq'ing)...wood chips adds a lot of flavor. Nothing spices can ever do. Anything else takes away from the smoke flavoring. I add just salt and pepper.

Are you talking about Montreal steak seasoning RB? It also has dill seeds in it. I think that sets it apart from other steak seasonings.. I really like the blend for whole tri tip on the grill.

Thats right Kay. I saw the bottle yesterday in my fridge. Montreal steak seasoning.

When grilling meats (summertime bbq'ing)...wood chips adds a lot of flavor. Nothing spices can ever do. Anything else takes away from the smoke flavoring. I add just salt and pepper.

I use no wood chips when grilling. Only time I use any wood is when I'm cooking indirectly and or smoking.

Cooking over good lump charcoal, IMO, imparts more flavor than throwing a few chips on briquettes or in foil on a gasser.

It is called a rub for a good reason. Tossing handfuls of the rub only gives you the taste of handfuls of flavor of the rub. Not the meat. :angel:
Addie, I know the difference. :rolleyes: As far as I can tell, the only times the work "rub" was used was in the title when the OP started this thread and Rock's comment, post 12. Many said they use just S&P so that it doesn't overpower the meat's flavor. I was just pointing out that I don't use so much of a seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning that it obscures that flavor. I can still taste the beef. :yum:

I did try Ina Garten's coffee rub once, on a basic grocery store sirloin. Meh. I'm glad I mixed just a bit of that and there wasn't much waste when I tossed the unused portion.

Cooking over good lump charcoal, IMO, imparts more flavor than throwing a few chips on briquettes or in foil on a gasser.

Charcoal itself doesn't have a taste, but the drippings vaporize quick and settle on the meat. A charcoal grill will get up to 500-degrees, a lot hotter than a gas grill can get, which on the meat gets you easier to the Mailliard reaction, but also really vaporizes well those delicious drippings.

Cooking with Charcoal vs. Gas: The Definitive Answer

Even though it is messier, I do prefer to use charcoal.

I do kind of agree, that unless you make a two temperature fire and slow cook, wood chips don't do a ton.

My preference is a marinade over a rub, I like a little acid in my barbecue. But I'm also cheap and use cheap cuts of meat. I don't know if I would marinate a really good porterhouse... I'd have to think about it. Might just get the grill very hot and sear it with a bit of s&P or the steak alone.

Cheers,

TBS

Charcoal itself doesn't have a taste, but the drippings vaporize quick and settle on the meat. A charcoal grill will get up to 500-degrees, a lot hotter than a gas grill can get, which on the meat gets you easier to the Mailliard reaction, but also really vaporizes well those delicious drippings.

Cooking with Charcoal vs. Gas: The Definitive Answer

Even though it is messier, I do prefer to use charcoal.

I do kind of agree, that unless you make a two temperature fire and slow cook, wood chips don't do a ton.

My preference is a marinade over a rub, I like a little acid in my barbecue. But I'm also cheap and use cheap cuts of meat. I don't know if I would marinate a really good porterhouse... I'd have to think about it. Might just get the grill very hot and sear it with a bit of s&P or the steak alone.

Cheers,

TBS

Lets not get into it again! Hardwood charcoal will get to 700 F easily in a BGE with the plate setter removed. I did not say that the lump charcoal had a taste, but that it adds the "cooked over wood" flavor. The flavor of a 3" thick rib-eye steak done reverse sear with only S&P for seasoning is far superior to anything done on a Weber charcoal or any gas grill, IMO. Are you talking about BBQ (low and slow) or grilling (hot and fast)? Please don't refer to the latter as BBQ because it isn't.

Lets not get into it again! Hardwood charcoal will get to 700 F easily in a BGE with the plate setter removed. I did not say that the lump charcoal had a taste, but that it adds the "cooked over wood" flavor. The flavor of a 3" thick rib-eye steak done reverse sear with only S&P for seasoning is far superior to anything done on a Weber charcoal or any gas grill, IMO. Are you talking about BBQ (low and slow) or grilling (hot and fast)? Please don't refer to the latter as BBQ because it isn't.

I do love you Craig, and appreciate your posts, and no not getting into it again.

You make a good point that BBQ us not the same as grilling. Up here in PA if we are outside and cooking meat, it is barbecue.

Think in the reverse sear you are talking about a two temperature fire. I support this, and use this technique, one of the reasons why I like charcoal as opposed to gas.

Now the elephant in the room is where you fall on marinades?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts,

as always, cheers,

TBS

The smoke and fat drippings imparted to a grilling steak can't be replicated in any bottle. Salt and pepper.

Wintertime oven broiling is when I'd maybe try a Montreal seasoning of some kind.

Last edited:
I do love you Craig, and appreciate your posts, and no not getting into it again.

You make a good point that BBQ us not the same as grilling. Up here in PA if we are outside and cooking meat, it is barbecue.

Think in the reverse sear you are talking about a two temperature fire. I support this, and use this technique, one of the reasons why I like charcoal as opposed to gas.

Now the elephant in the room is where you fall on marinades?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts,

as always, cheers,

TBS

For good quality steak, absolutely no marinade.

Back
Top Bottom