"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #21
Master Chef

Thanks for the tips. I've never used Montreal on pork, but I will, as I'm doing a pork sirloin tip roast on the gas grill today and using my little smoke box.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
Head Chef

Salt and pepper, mesquite wood chips on the BBQ (summer cooking). Nothing else needed. I bought this steak rub and it completely overpowered the steak taste with too many herbs. Just awful.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I use Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice for lots of things at work. Gravy, soups, we offer it on the steaks we sell out of the meat counter if people want it. I'd say 50% of people say yes...
Old 07-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I use Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice for lots of things at work. Gravy, soups, we offer it on the steaks we sell out of the meat counter if people want it. I'd say 50% of people say yes...
Looks like good stuff that I might try, only, it's expensive getting it shipped from Canada via Walmart. The smaller bottle is $4.97. With shipping and handling it comes to $17.00! I'll see if I can get it cheaper. I don't really need the bigger size from Amazon, it's about $15 without shipping. I wonder how it compares to McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. I thought I read somewhere that Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice is also made by McCormick's. Same stuff?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Looks like good stuff that I might try, only, it's expensive getting it shipped from Canada via Walmart. The smaller bottle is $4.97. With shipping and handling it comes to $17.00! I'll see if I can get it cheaper. I don't really need the bigger size from Amazon, it's about $15 without shipping. I wonder how it compares to McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. I thought I read somewhere that Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice is also made by McCormick's. Same stuff?
I can try and send you some...It will probably cost just as much by the time it gets to you...lol
Old 07-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #26
Master Chef

Unless we get a high-end steak from the butcher who raises his own cattle, processes it, and has it hanging in the cooler around back from his stainless steel cutting table (yes, we have one of those guys a couple of towns over), I'll usually use McC's Montreal Steak seasoning or The Spice House's Back of the Yards seasoning. I have no fear of the flavor overpowering the flavor of the steak because I apply it sparingly. Just a whisper of flavor, not a bash over the taste buds.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Unless we get a high-end steak from the butcher who raises his own cattle, processes it, and has it hanging in the cooler around back from his stainless steel cutting table (yes, we have one of those guys a couple of towns over), I'll usually use McC's Montreal Steak seasoning or The Spice House's Back of the Yards seasoning. I have no fear of the flavor overpowering the flavor of the steak because I apply it sparingly. Just a whisper of flavor, not a bash over the taste buds.
It is called a rub for a good reason. Tossing handfuls of the rub only gives you the taste of handfuls of flavor of the rub. Not the meat.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #28
Head Chef

When grilling meats (summertime bbq'ing)...wood chips adds a lot of flavor. Nothing spices can ever do. Anything else takes away from the smoke flavoring. I add just salt and pepper.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Are you talking about Montreal steak seasoning RB? It also has dill seeds in it. I think that sets it apart from other steak seasonings.. I really like the blend for whole tri tip on the grill.
Thats right Kay. I saw the bottle yesterday in my fridge. Montreal steak seasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
When grilling meats (summertime bbq'ing)...wood chips adds a lot of flavor. Nothing spices can ever do. Anything else takes away from the smoke flavoring. I add just salt and pepper.
I use no wood chips when grilling. Only time I use any wood is when I'm cooking indirectly and or smoking.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Cooking over good lump charcoal, IMO, imparts more flavor than throwing a few chips on briquettes or in foil on a gasser.

Tags
steak