"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 07-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is called a rub for a good reason. Tossing handfuls of the rub only gives you the taste of handfuls of flavor of the rub. Not the meat.
Addie, I know the difference. As far as I can tell, the only times the work "rub" was used was in the title when the OP started this thread and Rock's comment, post 12. Many said they use just S&P so that it doesn't overpower the meat's flavor. I was just pointing out that I don't use so much of a seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning that it obscures that flavor. I can still taste the beef.

I did try Ina Garten's coffee rub once, on a basic grocery store sirloin. Meh. I'm glad I mixed just a bit of that and there wasn't much waste when I tossed the unused portion.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Cooking over good lump charcoal, IMO, imparts more flavor than throwing a few chips on briquettes or in foil on a gasser.
Charcoal itself doesn't have a taste, but the drippings vaporize quick and settle on the meat. A charcoal grill will get up to 500-degrees, a lot hotter than a gas grill can get, which on the meat gets you easier to the Mailliard reaction, but also really vaporizes well those delicious drippings.

Cooking with Charcoal vs. Gas: The Definitive Answer

Even though it is messier, I do prefer to use charcoal.

I do kind of agree, that unless you make a two temperature fire and slow cook, wood chips don't do a ton.

My preference is a marinade over a rub, I like a little acid in my barbecue. But I'm also cheap and use cheap cuts of meat. I don't know if I would marinate a really good porterhouse... I'd have to think about it. Might just get the grill very hot and sear it with a bit of s&P or the steak alone.

Cheers,

TBS

Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Charcoal itself doesn't have a taste, but the drippings vaporize quick and settle on the meat. A charcoal grill will get up to 500-degrees, a lot hotter than a gas grill can get, which on the meat gets you easier to the Mailliard reaction, but also really vaporizes well those delicious drippings.

Cooking with Charcoal vs. Gas: The Definitive Answer

Even though it is messier, I do prefer to use charcoal.

I do kind of agree, that unless you make a two temperature fire and slow cook, wood chips don't do a ton.

My preference is a marinade over a rub, I like a little acid in my barbecue. But I'm also cheap and use cheap cuts of meat. I don't know if I would marinate a really good porterhouse... I'd have to think about it. Might just get the grill very hot and sear it with a bit of s&P or the steak alone.

Cheers,

TBS
Lets not get into it again! Hardwood charcoal will get to 700 F easily in a BGE with the plate setter removed. I did not say that the lump charcoal had a taste, but that it adds the "cooked over wood" flavor. The flavor of a 3" thick rib-eye steak done reverse sear with only S&P for seasoning is far superior to anything done on a Weber charcoal or any gas grill, IMO. Are you talking about BBQ (low and slow) or grilling (hot and fast)? Please don't refer to the latter as BBQ because it isn't.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Lets not get into it again! Hardwood charcoal will get to 700 F easily in a BGE with the plate setter removed. I did not say that the lump charcoal had a taste, but that it adds the "cooked over wood" flavor. The flavor of a 3" thick rib-eye steak done reverse sear with only S&P for seasoning is far superior to anything done on a Weber charcoal or any gas grill, IMO. Are you talking about BBQ (low and slow) or grilling (hot and fast)? Please don't refer to the latter as BBQ because it isn't.
I do love you Craig, and appreciate your posts, and no not getting into it again.

You make a good point that BBQ us not the same as grilling. Up here in PA if we are outside and cooking meat, it is barbecue.

Think in the reverse sear you are talking about a two temperature fire. I support this, and use this technique, one of the reasons why I like charcoal as opposed to gas.

Now the elephant in the room is where you fall on marinades?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts,

as always, cheers,

TBS
Old 07-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Is this thread "Rubbing" some people the wrong way?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Don't worry, Craig and I are excellent friends. After all I am participating in his Chinese dough challenge.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is called a rub for a good reason. Tossing handfuls of the rub only gives you the taste of handfuls of flavor of the rub. Not the meat.
Thank you for the advice,Addie. I have put it up there with the Disposal instructions and the use of potatoes in potato salad.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Thank you for the advice,Addie. I have put it up there with the Disposal instructions and the use of potatoes in potato salad.
+1. Don't know what we would do without Addie pointing out the blatantly ... obvious!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #39
Head Chef

The smoke and fat drippings imparted to a grilling steak can't be replicated in any bottle. Salt and pepper.

Wintertime oven broiling is when I'd maybe try a Montreal seasoning of some kind.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I do love you Craig, and appreciate your posts, and no not getting into it again.

You make a good point that BBQ us not the same as grilling. Up here in PA if we are outside and cooking meat, it is barbecue.

Think in the reverse sear you are talking about a two temperature fire. I support this, and use this technique, one of the reasons why I like charcoal as opposed to gas.

Now the elephant in the room is where you fall on marinades?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts,

as always, cheers,

TBS
For good quality steak, absolutely no marinade.

Tags
steak