Steak Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Charcoal itself doesn't have a taste, but the drippings vaporize quick and settle on the meat. A charcoal grill will get up to 500-degrees, a lot hotter than a gas grill can get, which on the meat gets you easier to the Mailliard reaction, but also really vaporizes well those delicious drippings".

I can assure you my Weber gas grill, can and will get as hot as 600F. If I light it and wait several minutes, it gets to 600 easily.
It gets hotter, but the gauge maxes out at 600F.

I agree a charcoal grill gets very hot, hotter than a gas grill in most cases. But I can get sear marks just as good on my gas grill as I can with my charcoal grill.

I use my gas grill for steaks and other fast cooking items.
Why would I take the time to fetch the charcoal from the basement, get the chimney starter going then pouring out the coals for a process that takes well less than 10 minutes.
Then not to mention the unused coals get wasted and the grill needs to be emptied.
My gas grill is ready and grates brushed off in 10 minutes.

I like charcoal and use it frequently. I just cannot see doing all that work for a something that takes less than 10 minutes to cook.
High heat grilling is just that and no charcoal is required.

Now, charcoal can be used and can be saved and used again. I just find gas the better alternative to charcoal for quick things like steaks and chops.
Ribs, chicken and roasts never see my gas grill.

"Charcoal itself doesn't have a taste, but the drippings vaporize quick and settle on the meat. A charcoal grill will get up to 500-degrees, a lot hotter than a gas grill can get, which on the meat gets you easier to the Mailliard reaction, but also really vaporizes well those delicious drippings".

I can assure you my Weber gas grill, can and will get as hot as 600F. If I light it and wait several minutes, it gets to 600 easily.

My CharBroil grill gets pretty hot, too, and I cook wine-butt (aka beer-can without the beer) chicken in less than an hour. Turn both burners up to high for 10 minutes, scrape off the carbon on the grates, turn the burners down to medium-low and let cook till it's done.

Next time I do this, I'm going to check the temp inside the grill with my infrared thermometer that DH got from somewhere.

Agreed. I have a Weber Genesis E330 and my gauge maxes out at 750. I know for a fact it will get up to almost 700. Maybe not as hot as a charcoal, but hot enough for most anything I need it to do, unless the recipe calls for incinerating the food.

Back
Top Bottom