Student wanting to accrue recipe suggestions using LIMITED resources (vegetarian)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In addition to not having enough protein in your ingredient list, you need to be aware that only animal proteins are complete proteins, meaning they have all the amino acids your body needs to function properly. You can combine vegetable sources of protein to create complete proteins. Here's a page with good info and examples: Incomplete vs Complete Proteins HTH.

GotGarlic, that site was great! I am a vegetarian and it was nice to read that I am doing the protein thing the right way :) thanks for that.

Sprouts are great piled on a sandwich. Since you eat liverwurst just add the sprouts for a bit of crunch and a nutrition boost as well.

Sorry I meant to post this in my previous post.

Sugar is not a grain. It is a chemical , a disaccharide - a compound of fructose and glucose, both also sugars.

Sugars are ubiquitous, but the sucrose we get generally comes from sugar cane or beets.

Oh yes, and we humans make the stuff, as do dromedaries, cassowaries, and well basically every species that one can see without a microscope. Our livers do that, it is one of the great things our livers do. Our cells cannot process fats, they depend on glucose, a sugar, for energy. The liver turns the fat into glucose the cells can use.

So when you lift a glass of wine to your lips thank your liver. It will transform the alcohol while it is doing a zillion other things.

Including making glucose.

But no, sugar is not a grain.

Sorry I meant to post this in my previous post.

Sugar is not a grain. It is a chemical , a disaccharide - a compound of fructose and glucose, both also sugars.

I know it's not a grain but didn't know what category to put it in. I'm not sure that a "chemical" category seems quite right but I've done it anyway. Thanks.

I'm running out the door and just quickly checking emails.
here is a good suggestion, if it's a repeat forgive, no time to read these now.
Also, I'll pm with you another suggestion, tonight, when I'm back on the computer. After I've done some thinking.

How do I incorporate sprouts into such a soup? I bought them for the first time recently. Do I cut them first or throw them in whole? Some website said to boil them whole first, and then skim the surface - what's on the surface? Nutrients?

I just want to say about this, not all Web sites are created equal :) In other words, they don't all contain equally valid information. If you're interested in sites that have reliable information on nutrition and cooking topics, ask away, but don't automatically believe what "some website" says just because it's there.

I don't know about yellow leaves on brussel sprouts, I have just cooked them whole, and never did anything to them. My daughter likes to eat them in what is called 'Treasure Island'. Broccoli florets are the trees, and then the brussel sprouts are the treasure and the carrot slices are rocks and they cover the treasure. All of this is served with rice, which is the sand of the island. I would suggest experimenting, try cooking them whole, and if they dont' cook quickly enough, then try cooking them until they are tender and cutting them in half, OR just cut them in half and put them in your soup.

If it worked, I attached a picture of 'Treasure Island'

Image33.jpg

Re: Sprouts - I think the OP, Sue-Zee-Q, & Claire have their "sprouts" confused - lol!!

The OP & Sue-Zee-Q are talking about brussels sprouts, the tiny cabbage-like vegetable; Claire is talking about sprouted grains/legumes (like alfalfa, bean, etc.) that you can add to sandwiches & salads.

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetable. Just trim off any damaged or yellowed leaves (although there shouldn't be a lot of either if the sprouts are of good quality) & cut a cross in the bottom of each before tossing into boiling water for about 5 minutes (depending on size). Then pierce or taste-test one until they reach the texture you like, which should be just tender for the best flavor & quality. If the sprouts are very large (like golf-ball size), you can cut them in half first after trimming, in which case the cross-cut at the root end isn't necessary. I normally undercook them just slightly, then drain them & return them to the pot with some butter to braise a little.

If you've never had them before, you may want to try them on their own first before tossing them into soup or stew (although they're delicious in both). Some folks find them a bit strong, which they can be if they're a bit past their prime age-wise.

Yes, I was assumng seed sprouts of some sort (bean, alfalfa, etc)! Brussels sprouts I like cooked already said, with a touch of lemon or orange juice added at the end. When I can get them fresh I halve them before cooking. Usually I buy them frozen.

Sugar is not a chemical. It is a carbohydrate.

Well, literally speaking, everything we eat is a chemical, or chemical compound. Our bodies are very sophisticated chemical factories :) But you're right, for nutrition purposes, sugar is classified as a carb.

Well, literally speaking, everything we eat is a chemical, or chemical compound. Our bodies are very sophisticated chemical factories :) But you're right, for nutrition purposes, sugar is classified as a carb.

It *could* be classed as a carbohydrate, if you were splitting foods into carbohydrate, protein, fat etc. categories; but I'm not. Rice is mostly carbohydrate, yet it's in the grains category. How could I have rice in the grains category and sugar in the carbohydrate category? I couldn't; it would be anarchy. Thus, the carbohydrate category does not exist in my food list, since not all foods would split neatly into such groups.

It *could* be classed as a carbohydrate, if you were splitting foods into carbohydrate, protein, fat etc. categories; but I'm not. Rice is mostly carbohydrate, yet it's in the grains category. How could I have rice in the grains category and sugar in the carbohydrate category? I couldn't; it would be anarchy. Thus, the carbohydrate category does not exist in my food list, since not all foods would split neatly into such groups.

Hi, Sean. Would you mind sharing your list of food categories? And what is the objective of keeping this list? Just curious. Like it or not, all foods are either fats, proteins or carbs, which is different from food groups, such as meats, grains, dairy, vegetables, etc.

You might be interested in this Web site: FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal You enter all the foods you eat each day and it tells you how much of each food type and nutrient you've consumed. You can set goals and it will calculate whether you have achieved them.

My food categories are in my first post in this thread. Separating them among fats, proteins and carbs (is a tomato a fat, protein or carb?!) would not be useful to people trying to suggest recipes based on my inventory (the objective of the list). Thanks for the link though.

My food categories are in my first post in this thread. Separating them among fats, proteins and carbs (is a tomato a fat, protein or carb?!) would not be useful to people trying to suggest recipes based on my inventory (the objective of the list). Thanks for the link though.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. People are suggesting recipes based on the ingredients listed, not on which category they're in.

According to fitday.com, one medium raw tomato contains:
Total Fat 0.406g
Total Carbohydrate 5.71g
Protein 1.05g

So it's primarily a carb. But it's also a fruit :shock:

Regardless of category, one can come up with recipes with the above ingredients. It truly doesn't matter what category they are in nor what the categories are called. I am only looking at your ingredients listed.

You can make some rice in chicken stock, add your favorite veggies listed in your list (cooked your favorite way i.e., sauteed, boiled, steamed, etc., and add whatever protein you find most available and inexpensive where you live. Add some salt, pepper would be nice, along with parsley and chives.

I find, among a few other people, that it is important to plan a meal around mixing the proper amounts of fats, proteins, and carbs, and vegetables/fruits to make a "complete" meal thus making us "full" for longer.

Are you looking for recipes as I mentioned above?

And like GotGarlic said, a tomato is a carb as are most fruits. Go to Google and search for the nutritional value of any food and you will be referred to some great sites!

Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm taking note of your suggestions and they are appreciated! :)

Thanks - working on the spices. It'll be a while though.

How do I incorporate sprouts into such a soup? I bought them for the first time recently. Do I cut them first or throw them in whole? Some website said to boil them whole first, and then skim the surface - what's on the surface? Nutrients?

Edit: also, why must I throw away the yellow leaves? What's wrong with them?

The yellow leaves are old and won't taste very fresh. Just remove them. You skim the surface because that's where the impurities and dirt collect. You will notice a brownish foam. That is what you want to skim and throw away. The brownish foam certainly won't hurt you - your finished product will be more clear and not so "dirty".

Thanks for the sprout advice - do sprouts go with rice? I just bought a 'sweetheart cabbage' (called a 'spitskool' in Dutch) and will find a way to have that with rice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom